cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CMalu
New Contributor I

2.8" TFT @ Galileo 2 --> Too SLOW !

Hello,

I attached the 2.8" Adafruit display to the Galileo 2 (by SPI). The Adafruit library was not compatible to the Galileo, but luckily, KurtE ported it to Intel:

Basically, the display works, but in slow motion. After the 1980s, I didn't see those slow screens any more. I tried to tweak the code, improved slightly, but basically I have to say that it is not usable with the Galileo 2. I just want to display text, but live changing values. It is far too slow. For comparison, I wired it also to my old Uno and to my surprise it operates approx. 55x faster !!

First, I'd like to understand how a 8bit 16 Mhz CPU can be so much faster than a 400MHz, 32 bit CPU ???

Secondly, I need a solution. I saw in the hints from KurtE that he used later MRAA, which seems to be the linux side of the Intel board. As my sensors are all connected using Arduino libraries, it would be a big effort to port all this to linux. Is there any way to run the sensors with Arduino IDE and the display on linux? (Please forgive if this sounds stupid for you).

In that case, do you expect a big speed increase of the display? Or do I also need to change to 8bit mode?

EDIT: I think I found why it's so bad: The SPI clock operates at 8 MHz for 1-2µs, then it waits for approx. 270µs, which seems to be related to CS. But I used already fastGpioDigitalWrite for CS and DC, doesn't help. But again, the Arduino code uses only digitalWrite....

Thanks,

Christof

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Christof,

Thanks for reaching out.

About the TFT display, I have found this thread of another user that used the display, maybe it can be helpful for your issue: https://communities.intel.com/thread/55285 https://communities.intel.com/thread/55285.

Regarding the speed, well we are not sure if it is slow because you are using SPI, but there isn't a way to fix it.

Now, the question about using Arduino IDE and Linux, it is not stupid at all, it is a good question. And yes it is possible, in your case I think that the best way to do this is using a file with all the data that can be read from on both sides. Take a look at this article: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2015/05/05/efficient-data-sharing-using-interrupts-on-intel-e...

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Christof,

Do you have any updates about this?

Do you still have issues with your Display?

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.
CMalu
New Contributor I

Dear Leonardo,

I'm still having the same issue. The link you posted didn't help much as it was not so much related to my question. I got the display working, but super slow. Maybe you saw that I updated the question above, after some tests I think the issue is not SPI or SPI with Intel, but something else related to DC and CS. They are done super slow, most of the time, the SPI is waiting.

Currently I'm trying to run the display with the Intel IoT Studio, but also there I face significant trouble, I posted that also...

If the galileo board didn't have the PCIe slot, I would have given up long ago. In case I find a solution, I'll post it here.

Regards

Christof

idata
Community Manager

Hi Christof,

I wish I could help you more with your issue, but this is all the information that we have found. Now, if you find a way to solve this, please don't hesitate to share it with the community, other users might find your findings helpful.

We really appreciate your participation in the community.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.