Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BHerr2
Novice

3840x1080p, 30 fps on Edison

I am trying to capture high resolution, high frame rate video from a LI-OV580 Camera.

The data sheet of the camera says it can do 3840x1080 at 30fps but when the linux4video2 driver gets its hands on it, it sets the fps to 2.

Does anyone know the maximum data rate that the edison can handle with incoming image data from a camera?

here is a link to a question I posted to the FFMPEG support forum. it outlines the problem and shows code and terminal output.

http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2718 Can not capture desired framerate • FFmpeg Support Forum

Thank you!

5 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi herrerab,

We are still investigating your case, as soon as we have new information we will post it here.

Regards,

Pablo

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi herrerab,

We don't have the camera that you're using to test it, but looking at the datasheet it seems it is a USB 3.0 camera. Keep in mind that Edison is USB 2.0. We tested with a Logitech C270 camera on Edison and got around 10 fps, we then tested on a PC running Ubuntu and we obtained the same results. It is unlikely that the problem is with the Edison, it seems to have something to do with one of the video codecs or ffmpeg packages.

Regards,

Pablo

BHerr2
Novice

I tested it with a computer with both USB 3.0 and 2.0. I found that when plugged into a USB 3.0 port it operated at the documented performance, but when plugged into the USB 2.0 port it was restrained just as it was with the Edison.

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi herrerab,

So it is indeed caused by the USB 2.0 used by the Edison. Do you have any other webcam that you can use that supports USB 2.0 ports? I believe it's not possible to achieve all the frames per second available with the current hardware.

Regards,

Pablo

BHerr2
Novice

Instead we are moving forward with our prototyping using the Minnowboard Turbot. It is USB 3.0 host compatible and is much more capable for handling graphics.