Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

6-pin TTL USB cable absolutely required?

Jump to solution

Greetings,

I am new to the Galileo gen 2 on windows 7.

Is the 6pin TTL cable the only way to program the board? Are there any other methods?

Can I use the standard micro-usb port that I am so used to using on the Arduinos? If not, what is it's purpose?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hi BMEJ,

The 6 pin TTL cable allows interacting with the Terminal Console. You can create a new session and start programming in C, Javascript, C++, Python…

Ths USB client is the one that has a microUSB port. You can use this port to interact with the Arduino IDE. [Remember to always use a power supply before plugging a USB cable in this port]

Regards,

Charlie

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

You will go to need only of a cable USB, if not recorded an image Linux in a card SD,

recommend that it do, as the image that comes in galileo is not able to retain sketch.

Port for uploads used in Galileo is the micro USB (USB Client)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kJuH7YYSh4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kJuH7YYSh4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi BMEJ,

The 6 pin TTL cable allows interacting with the Terminal Console. You can create a new session and start programming in C, Javascript, C++, Python…

Ths USB client is the one that has a microUSB port. You can use this port to interact with the Arduino IDE. [Remember to always use a power supply before plugging a USB cable in this port]

Regards,

Charlie

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Thanks Charlie,

I currently have my raspberrypi on wifi and am connecting to it via remote terminal, and also using weaved service (external IP access).

I would like to do this same thing with the Galileo. I think I might have to get it up and running on wifi first through the arduino micro-usb connector, then I can set up the remote SSH connection.

Thanks a lot.

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Just as a follow up,

I did avoid purchasing the 6-pin cable by running an arduino code first (here: ). I now can access the Galileo via Putty.

I then ran the blinking LED C++ program from Eclipse and it appeared to work.

Hopefully I wont have any issues using this method.