Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

ARRRRGH! Is there any way to switch GPIO faster ???!!!!

https://software.intel.com/en-us/user/1065274 Dallas P.

Fri, 03/20/2015 - 05:59

I really, Really, REALLY need to be able to switch GPIO pins from out to in faster. Surely there is a way to do this that doesn't require calling the Linux file I/O API (???!!!) like mraa_gpio_dir() does. The latency involved in this one simple mraa function is costing us over $100 per unit. If I can get this worked out I can read my sensors directly from GPIO and I don't need a PIC (and the associated cost and complexity) to do it for me. I mean the idea of adding additional computing resources to a platform suffering from an over abundance of processing power is just silly. Especially when all I need to do is read a few DTH11/22s.

I know that the actual hardware part of this works pretty quickly. I can generate the reset pulse then call mraa_gpio_dir() and see it switch almost immediately because I see the sensor able to drive the pin for the 80us presence pulse and all 40 subsequent bits of data. But I don't get control back quickly enough to start reading the pulses. I miss the presence pulse and 6-8 bits of the data. Is the actually hardware switching done by this code from mraa_gpio_dir() maybe?

if (advance_func->gpio_dir_replace != NULL) {

return advance_func->gpio_dir_replace(dev,dir);

}

if (advance_func->gpio_dir_pre != NULL) {

mraa_result_t pre_ret = (advance_func->gpio_dir_pre(dev,dir));

if (pre_ret != MRAA_SUCCESS) {

return pre_ret;

}

}

I've heard the "you shouldn't bit-bang under Linux" argument and I see the point, but there are very sound reasons (economics being a good one) to be able to interface to external components like the DHT22/11's via the GPIO. I mean it's the IoT for cryin' out loud. You wanna put Galileo/Edison in everything from waffle irons to tractors, you're gonna need to do a little more than blink LEDs. Well maybe not for the waffle iron application ...

Any pointers would really be appreciated.

Thx,

Dallas

3 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Re: ARRRRGH! Is there any way to switch GPIO faster ???!!!!

https://software.intel.com/en-us/user/183576 matthias-hahn (Intel) Fri, 03/20/2015 - 06:23

as a workaround for 1-wire protocol you might consider using a diode and 2 GPIO?

Highlighted
New Contributor II

https://software.intel.com/en-us/user/1065274 Dallas P. Fri, 03/20/2015 - 06:35

Yeah, we're pursing that now. At first I couldn't get it to work but I believe we boarded it up wrong. Eat's a lot of pins but I can live with it if I can leave off the PIC and associated I2C uart and muxes etc. ad infinitum.

Thanx for the quick response Matthias!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Dallas,

Were you able to to get a 2 pin solution working? I went the PIC route, but its become a lot of... frustration

0 Kudos