Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALast3
Beginner

Am I able to install a version on linux on the no OS BLK STK1A32SC stick?

I updated the BIOS, and I am 100% sure my boot flash drive is working. When I entered the BIOS, I only saw options for Windows x86 and x64, and Android. I want to install puppy linux via flash drive, but it doesn't detect the boot drive. Do I need to install my copy of Windows first?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Tsardine,

Thank you for joining the Intel® Compute Stick community.

I just wanted to shared with you that Puppy Linux has not been validated to work with this Intel® Compute Stick model; therefore, we do not have any documentation how to install this operating system. The supported operating system for your model are;

• Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
  • Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry, Pro

So, at this stage my recommendation is to use the Puppy Linux forum support, they may be able to provide the details regarding the installation of the operating system. Puppy Linux Discussion Forum; http://murga-linux.com/puppy/ Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: Index - Puppy Linux Discussion Forum.

For further reference visit; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005899.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Compute Stick.

Regards,

Amy.

ALast3
Beginner

Thanks for the advice, Amy. With that information, I'm planning on installing 32 bit windows 10 (32 because my stick is 32 bit) so I can just use the puppy Linux .exe installer.

idata
Community Manager

Sure, you're welcome.

Let me know how it goes, I am interested in those results.

Regards,

Amy.

JVanB
Valued Contributor II

My experience is that those 3 options you see at the menu aren't very meaningful except that usually one of them works and the other two don't. I would try all of them, starting with Windows x64. Where you select the USB drive is at the menu, where hopefully you will see your USB drive offered as a boot option. If it's not, try again with Windows x86 at the menu, and lastly Android at the menu. Good luck. Are you experienced with Puppy Linux?

ALast3
Beginner

I am in fact not experienced with anything besides Windows, but I am experienced with computers in general, as I built a gaming PC. I'm just an enthusiast who wanted a light operating system, and puppy Linux always came up when I searched for light OS's. As far as I know, the compute Stick can only detect the operating systems Amy mentioned. I know it's not a problem with the boot flash drive because it works fine on my main PC, so like I said in my response to Amy, I'll just install windows first. Also, the reason I'm not doing that right now is because when I tried to install windows, it needed some extra drivers or some shiz to continue the installation. This wouldn't be a problem, but at the time I didn't have a USB hub, so if I were to use another flash drive to load the drivers, I wouldn't be able to use a keyboard or mouse because the other USB port is being used by the windows boot drive. I ordered a USB hub the day I asked this question and it should come in tomorrow. In my opinion, the compute stick should either have more USB ports (which is unlikely, because that would probably increase its size) or come shipped with a hub (I would have gladly payed the 10 extra dollars when I bought mah stick).