Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WMa3
Beginner

Arduino Editor not seeing the Virtual Com port

Recently i notice that the Arduino Editor no longer see the virtual com port but only the serial port but i do see it in the device manager

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello inteligentacolyte,

Thanks for reaching out!

I can see that the Virtual Com Port in Device Manager has an error icon. This makes me believe that there is an issue with Edison's driver. So, I'd suggest you to remove the driver and then install it again. You can do so with Edison's Windows standalone driver which can be downloaded from: https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison/downloads.

Try doing this and let us know. Just to be sure, you can reboot your PC after reinstalling the driver.

I hope this information helps you,

Pedro M.
WMa3
Beginner

Hello Intel:

the Virtual port is fixed but now after reinstall the USB composite device port is gone.

idata
Community Manager

As long as your computer detects the Virtual COM Port and the Serial Port, it will be enough to use the board. In fact, the device manager in my PC looks just like yours and I have no issues with my board. Have you tried uploading sketches to your board, using COM3? It shouldn't have any issues, please let us know if otherwise.

Pedro M.
idata
Community Manager

Hello inteligentacolyte,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.
WMa3
Beginner

hello Pedro:

The board works. I am just curious why the USB composite device port is gone. Does it effect anything. I have never used that port before.

idata
Community Manager

Hello inteligentacolyte,

An USB Composite Device is a peripheral device that supports more than one device class. Many different devices are implemented as composite devices. As I mentioned, Edison shouldn't be detected as this. What might have happened is probably that when the Edison driver on your PC started malfunctioning, the PC started detecting the Edison as an USB Composite Device.

However, this should not cause any issues now that the driver has been reinstalled and it is working as expected.

Pedro M.