Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

Arduino IDE for Mac OS X doesn't work

MDe_S3
Novice

Hi everybody!

I'm a Mac user and from yesterday also a Galileo user . I have an issue with the mac version of the arduino IDE (1.5.3): simply it doesn't work! First thing I tried was the firmware upgrade, but after selecting the serial port, clicking on "firmware upgrade" and clicking YES on first popup message, the applications crashes and no other popup or messages appears (I tried on two macs). So I tried with a Windows pc and the firmware upgrade was fine. Finally I wanted to upload a sketch on the board with the mac and the IDE crashes again. What can I do? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DRigo1
Beginner

You have to rename the IDE from "Arduino" to "Galileo". It will work after that!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
FBasi1
New Contributor I

It happened to me at first try, but the trick is to select the /dev/cuXXX device instead of /dev/ttyXXX, this way it worked fine!

MDe_S3
Novice

thank you for your answer but it did not solve the problem: the application still crashes.

MDe_S3
Novice

Anyway, i have these issues on two macs: a macbook pro 13" (mid 2010) running mac os 10.8.5 and an imac 21,5" (2011) running mac os 10.8.5. On the macbook i have also installed arduino 1.0.1 but not on the imac.

LBarr11
New Contributor I

We haven't seen crashes with it on MacOSX, but there a couple of known issues.

First, if, you put it in Applications folder and there's an existing "Arduino" in there, the Mac will rename the new one, "Arduino 1" or similar. The space in the name causes a problem sometimes.

Also, sometimes the file gets corrupt when unzipped by certain browsers or if the unzipped app is copied across a windows-formatted disk, such as a USB stick. Best bet, find the downloaded zip file, put it on your Mac's desktop and double-click it to unzip.

The Arduino IDE also requires Java, but if you are already running the regular Arduino IDE, this shouldn't be a problem. Apple will disable Java if you don't have the latest version as a security measure. Maybe check to see if your java is up to date and running.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5648 Java updates available for OS X on August 28, 2013

Also, if you open the Console application in Applications/Utilities there you can find the CrashReporter logs. If the app is crashing, there should be logs of it there.

Hope that helps.

MDe_S3
Novice

Thank you for your answer. I renamed the app "Arduino153", I checked if Java was updated (and it is), and finally I tried to run the firmware update. Results: the application still crashes! :-(

I've seen in Applications->Utility->Console app and there are many log files related to arduino's crashes. This is the latest:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1834180/log.html https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1834180/log.html

thanks

Lawrence_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the report and backtraces, we'll try to reproduce it.

DRigo1
Beginner

You have to rename the IDE from "Arduino" to "Galileo". It will work after that!

View solution in original post

DRigo1
Beginner

At least...it did work for me

MDe_S3
Novice

I unzipped the app again, than I renamed Galileo and finally i selected the /dev/cuXXX serial port. IT WORKS! Thank you DesireeRigonat!

note: if i try to use the /dev/ttyXXX device, the app crashes again and I have to install it again.

DVann
Beginner

to troubleshoot, the Galileo board takes a while to start up occasionally.

You can open terminal

ls /dev/cu.*

you should see something like

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-2

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync /dev/cu.usbmodem1a121

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-1

where cu.usbmodem1a121 is the Galileo board.

If you can see the device, then start Arduino IDE.

make sure tools, serial port is pointing to /dev/cu.usbmodem1a121

then either do Help, Firmware Update,

or load a File, Examples, 01 Basics, Blink.

You can see the console output in the arduino IDE.

(If you want you can also view the console output in Terminal using the command

screen /dev/cu.usbmodem1a121 Ctrl-A,Ctrl-\ to kill the screen)

LFerr10
Novice

On my macbook, the arduino IDE won't even start.

I get this exception:

"java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name processing.app.i18n.Resources, locale pt_PT "

System: late 2007 Macbook / Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)

Update:

If I chage OS X system language to "English" then the arduino app starts.

Once I correct the language back to Portuguese (Portugal), I get the error again, and the IDE won't start.

Lawrence_B_Intel
Employee

It appears that the localization resource for Portuguese is not available.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running the regular (non-Intel) Arduino 1.5.3 IDE on your system with the language set to Portuguese?

LFerr10
Novice

Than you for your reply.

The default Arduino IDE (v1.0.5 and v1.5.4) seems to work fine on this computer. (locale pt_PT)