Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TBhon
New Contributor I

Arduino sketch upload unsuccessful, just hangs.

So yeah I was working on a little project, using the Arduino IDE (1.6.5) and a bit of python, when all of a sudden the Edison stopped accepting any Arduino sketch. Like, it was working okay for a while, and i didn't even reboot it before I came across this problem. Here's the message from the Arduino IDE:

# COM ports are not always setup to be addressed via COM for redirect.

# /dev/ttySx are present. Howwever, COMy -> /dev/ttySx where x = y - 1

com_port_arg=$3

com_port_id=${com_port_arg/COM/}

echo "COM PORT" $com_port_id

tty_port_id=/dev/ttyS$((com_port_id-1))

echo "Converted COM Port" $com_port_arg "to tty port" $tty_port_id

echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch downloadEdison" > $tty_port_id

C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.2+1.0/clupload/cluploadEdison_win.sh: line 42: /dev/ttyS3: No such file or directory

# Move the existing sketch on target.

echo "Deleting existing sketch on target"

"$fixed_path/lsz.exe" --escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.2+1.0/clupload/cluploadEdison_win.sh: line 46: /dev/ttyS3: No such file or directory

# Execute the target download command

# Download the file.

host_file_name=$2

"$fixed_path/lsz.exe" --escape --binary --overwrite $host_file_name <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.2+1.0/clupload/cluploadEdison_win.sh: line 51: /dev/ttyS3: No such file or directory

Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target

# mv the downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf

target_download_name="${host_file_name# */}"

echo "Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target"

"$fixed_path/lsz.exe" --escape -c "mv $target_download_name /sketch/sketch.elf; chmod +x /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.2+1.0/clupload/cluploadEdison_win.sh: line 56: /dev/ttyS3: No such file or directory

This isn't the entire message but hopefully enough for someone to figure out the problem, because its just hieroglyphs to me.

What i have tried:

1. Deleted sketch.elf and sketch.elf.old in /sketch on the Edison (I've done this before when i had such problems. Note that i did this After the problem began)

2. Tried to use 1.6.4 instead of 1.6.5 IDE (but to no avail, same errors)

3.Reinstalled the edison AND FTDI drivers (downloaded the standalone drivers)

4. Checked the come ports:

Intel virtual com port - com4 -- I've selected this port in the Arduino IDE

USB Serial Port - com6 -- putty works absolutely alright

5. Reflashed the image (version 159)

6. Checked usb cables, connections etc

7 Reset the Edison a million times

Obviously none of this worked. I dont know what will.

Some other details that might be helpful:

1. Edison Image version - 159
  2. WiFi, SSH, and putty Serial connection works well
  3. No sketch uploads at all, including Blink. Sketches worked normally before problem suddenly appeared.

I'll be grateful to anyone who can help me because i'm really trying to finish this project before tuesday. Thanks in Advance!

9 Replies
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

And the board just stopped uploading sketches for no reason? Did you change any configuration setting? What OS are you using in your computer? In what folder is your Arduino IDE folder, did you made any changes to the Arduino IDE folder like add or remove any libraries or modify any paths? Have you tried to re-install your IDE? Have you tried to use different USB cables and using an external power supply?

I found a thread with a similar issue . The thread discusses a Galileo Gen 2 board but the solution may apply to you as well. Try the suggestion posted and let me know your results.

Sergio

TBhon
New Contributor I

HI,

I don't think i changed any setting before the problem occurred. I'm using windows 7 professional.

Well I've installed the Arduino IDE on a different laptop (using the edison integrated installer), and it seems to work fine, more or less. Sometimes i get an error saying "Permission denied" or something, but that's fixed when I run Arduino IDE as Administrator.

On the other computer, the problem still persists; and i think its because I've installed two IDEs - 1.6.5 (from the arduino website) and 1.6.4 (from the edison integrated installer) and there's some conflict between them... So maybe I'll have to reinstall.

I'll notify you if that works. Thanks for your help anyways!

Regards,

Tim.

TBhon
New Contributor I

And i didn;t mention this - the code compiles OK but just doesn't upload

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I found a thread where this error has been discussed, take a look at

Sergio

TBhon
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

Well I've done a lot of stuff till now.

I've uninstalled all intel edison related files, drivers etc (using the downloaded installer - it uninstalls everything on its own). I've also uninstalled the original Arduino IDE. Well now I've reinstalled only the Edison files (including Arduino 1.6.5 from the edison installer, the drivers, and the phone flash tool). I followed the steps for getting started with the edison for how to install the drivers and all.

Now finally I can upload sketches to my board, and the serial connection works fine. One thing though, in device manager, under com ports and lpt, I only see USB Serial Device and Intel Edison Virtual com port, but no USB composite device port, though I've seen it in the getting started tutorial. Why is this happening? Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Tim.

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Take a look at https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows-32-step2 IoT - Step 2: Install drivers | Intel® Developer Zone . Make sure you installed all drivers needed, additionally; there are some troubleshooting steps at the end of the document.

Try and let me know your results.

Sergio

Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

I don't recall the Edison version numbering. Is 159 a recent version?

In older builds it was a frequent issue that journal would fill /var/log/journal and with that the whole disk (see e.g. ). In that case you would exactly see the effect you describe: from now to then suddenly no sketch upload any longer

TBhon
New Contributor I

No, that issue has been fixed in version 159, which is i think the latest. I'm pretty sure its not a problem of space left on the edison; I've verified by using the df -h command. Most probably its a software issue on the computer i'm using; the IDE works fine on a different computer so I'm using that one. Thanks for the suggestion though

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Tim,

Have you been able to upload sketches again to your board?

Regards,

Charlie