Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSmet2
Beginner

Are there SSD based issues on the first gen ICS? My failure rate is now 120% over 10 devices.

I bought the ICS to deploy in boardrooms with a USB keyboard/mouse. They're the perfect setup and I was thrilled with them....

....until they started dropping like flies. I purchased 10 of them. I have 2 that are currently running, but 8 that are dead, and 2 that were replaced by my local reseller, and subsequently died again. I've put a call into Intel to have them all replaced, but I feel this will just be getting the devices swapped one last time before warranty is up, and then I'll be SOL. I've replaced them with a few NUC's, but they're bulking compared to the ICS

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi lostboy,

The first generation of Intel® Compute Sticks was basic, the performance was limited. The newer devices have better memory, processor and they have a newer generation of eMMC.

It is the first time a heard issues related to eMMC. I believe the problem might be possible with the amount of space of the unit 32GB and operating system requirements.

Regards,

Mike C
SHirs
Novice

What do you mean by all your compute sticks are "dead" - dead like -

1. they can't be turned on anymore - the sticks are complete dead

2. Windows boots but freezes completly during startup

The second issue is maybe caused by a windows update, you have to boot windows in safe mode and deactivate the write cache of the eMMC in the device manager. Afterwards start windows normal again, do all the remaining windows updates, then the write cache can be enabled again.

greetings,

Anthony

MSmet2
Beginner

My pologies, I can't believe I left out such a critical detail.

The SSD's or eMMC's or whatever hard drive they use goes completely defunct. The whole unit gets very hot, then the BIOS hangs as it tries to poll the SSD, then says "No HDD Found". All 8-10 of them so far have had this issue.

When entering the BIOS, they say "No HDD". Booting off a USB stick works fine, but never sees the built in 32gb SSD

MSmet2
Beginner

Performance, oddly, has never been an issue for me. They run as Thin-Clients for Boardroom TV's and as video conferencing units. They need to run Windows 10, Chrome, Adobe PDF Reader, Office 2013 (in a VERY basic manner) and access network resources like mapped drives.

This has been the PERFECT product for a boardroom (until they die when the CEO wants to join a webinar.

idata
Community Manager

Hi lostboy,

I regret for the inconvenience experienced; however, the issue that you are taking actually is not common. Do you have currently any defective stick with you? If you agree, I would like to troubleshoot it.

Please let me know the stick model, BIOS version, which operating system version was working and your troubleshooting.

Mike C