Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS x64
Intel Compute Stick BOXSTCK1A8LFCL
Inserted 64Gb MicroSD card
How do I go about updating this product with the inherent Hardware limitations?
In order to update to the latest version like 1607 you will have to use microsofts windows 10 media creation tool. (you can download it here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Windows 10 ) it will allow you to make a flash drive to use for the update to 1607. BE SURE TO SELECT 32BIT when it gives you the option
I dont see an edit option on here but a walk through is here http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000016164.html Windows® 10 Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick
Several options you could consider:
1. Compress /usr (or at least /usr/share)
2. Move /usr to run from the micro sdcard (essentially means dedicating the micro sdcard to your running OS)
3. Move /home (or a specific user/s) to the micro sdcard (same limitations as 2)
4. Run the whole OS from micro sdcard or USB (same limitations as 2 and/or some performance degradation limited by the speed of media used)
5. Remove Unity (et al) and run a different desktop (e.g. LXDE - note on the official 14.04 release you will loose audio)
Alternatively install a different flavour of Ubuntu (e.g. Lubuntu) with a smaller footprint (with official releases you will loose both audio, wifi and bluetooth or you could use my 16.04 or 16.10 ISOs).