cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMaxM
Beginner

BOXSTK1AW32SC - USB 3.0 problem with 4GB Harddisk

Hi

Since I updated to the latest Windows 10 release, the stick (BOXSTK1AW32SC) does not recognize my 4 GB Harddisk (Samsung M3) anymore. Yes, I checked whether all drivers are the latest. I even did two clean installs of Windows 10...

It work perfectly with the older Windows 10 release.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Max2 ,

Let me check some things:

-Are you getting any error message on screen?

-Is the ICS behaving in a certain way (slowness while it is connected, device not recognized at all by the unit...etc)

-Do you have other PCs that have Anniversary update? To check if the external HDD is recognized

-Have you tested other USB 3.0 devices in this Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC?

Hope I can hear from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
MMaxM
Beginner

Hi Esteban

There are no error messages on screen. The device is listed in the explorer, but cannot be accessed.

The ICS is indeed slowing down (it seems to be busy trying to read the device)

The HDD works without any problems on my other PCs having Windows 10 anniversary update installed

I tested the ICS USB 3.0 with a USB memory stick. That worked.

It seems that the same HDD works on the ICS USB 2.0 interface. Could it be a USB 3.0 driver issue, may related to power settings? I changed power settings to maximum an turned off the USB power saving but it did not help...

idata
Community Manager

By any chance, did you try contacting Samsung to see if they are aware of any issues related to this?

idata
Community Manager

Max2, just checking if you were able to contact Samsung about this inquiry.

Regards,

Esteban C
JMart57
Beginner

I'm assuming you mean a 4TB drive (not a 4GB drive)? I am having exactly the same issue with a Seagate Backup Plus Portable 4TB drive.

It works fine on other computers, and I've used a different 2TB drive on this compute stick without trouble, but the 4TB drive just connects and disconnects several times within a few seconds, with incessant dinging and popup messages saying a device has been connected/disconnected, and eventually brings the whole computer to an unresponsive state.

I also have the same experience of it working fine on the lower-speed lower-power USB 2 port.

I've posted a separate question for my issue, but thought you might want to follow there as well:

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for the collaboration, mltsy

You will be contacted in your thread by one agent at the soonest, in the meantime, you could check with the manufacturer to find out what is the optimal power requirement for the drive to work fine.

I was trying to get this information, but the tech specs documents found didn't indicate this.

Additionally, have you tested other USB 3.0 devices on the port?

Regards,

Esteban C
JMart57
Beginner

es I did try another USB 3 drive as well as a display adapter on that port and both seemed to work okay. I'll see what I can find out about the power requirements and post on my thread. Thanks

idata
Community Manager

mltsy,

Thank you for the quick answer!

Noted, hope you can get this information to find out if that is the issue.

Regards,

Esteban C
idata
Community Manager

Hello Max2,

Would you please let me know if you still require support for this matter?

I would like to double check if you were able to get the information related to power consumption, mltsy

Regards,

Esteban C
MMaxM
Beginner

Hi Esteban

Thank you for your support. In fact it still does not work. I saw that there is a separate question related to exactl the same issue (yes, I meant 4 TB drive) and hoped for a solution there. The stick has turned rather useless to me now. I just updated the stick toda y again (Windows) without any improvement.

I haven't got an reply from Samsung. Do you have a contact? I tried to get information or find a driver update on European sites (Germany, Switzerland) but no luck....

Regards,

M

idata
Community Manager

Hello Max2,

I am sorry to hear you are still facing this behavior.

Checked the support page of Samsung with on luck to find phone support for Germany, what you could do is start a chat with their support for the USA: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

I will be further investigating this issue in order to find a resolution.

Regards,

Esteban C
idata
Community Manager

idata
Community Manager

Hello Max2,

I wanted to check if you were able to proceed with the BIOS update recommended above.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Esteban C

idata
Community Manager

Hello Max2,

Please let us know if you still require support for this matter.

Regards,

Esteban C