cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

BOXSTK2M3W64CC USB 3.0 main unit

Hi,

I have connected an USB 3.0 SDD Case to the main unit, USB 3.0 is not recognized.

When I connect the same device to USB 3.0 power adapter and now the USB 3.0 SDD Case is recognized as USB 3.0 device.

Can you confirm the usb on main unit is an USB 3.0 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
18 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What is the model of the drive unit that you are trying to connect? It appears that its power requirements are beyond that provided by the USB 3.0 port (which supports max 900mA, per the USB 3.0 spec.). Have you tried plugging it into one of the USB 3.0 ports that are provided on the power brick?

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Case : Inateck FE2005 : http://www.inateck.com/hdd-enclosures/tool-free-usb-3-0-hdd-enclosure/hard-drive-2-tb-hdd-enclosure-... Inateck - Withdrawable HDD Enclosure FE2005 - Tool Free USB 3.0 HDD Enclosure - HDD Enclosures

Drive : http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PD256BW 840 Pro Series SSD - 256GB 2.5-inch | Samsung MZ-7PD256

Yes when the device is connected into one of the USB 3.0 ports that are provided on the power brick, the device is recognized like USB 3.0.

Regards

n_scott_pearson

As I said, the USB 3.0 port on the ICS unit itself is current-limited to 900mA. This enclosure (with drive) must be asking for more power than that. Is using the port on the power brick a problem?

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for your reply.

It's easiest for me to use the USB 3.0 port on the ICS unit itself, I can conclude that ports on power brick don't have this limitation to 900mA.

I was surprised that difference between USB 3.0 port on unit and power brick.

Regards.

n_scott_pearson

I just tried connecting my WD My Passport 2TB drive to both my Core m3- and Core m5-based CC Compute Sticks. In both cases, using the USB 3.0 connectors on the units themselves, it worked just fine and I was able to view files on the drive. Now, according to the datasheet for this drive, it requires 750mA, which is somewhat below the 900mA that the port is required to provide, so this isn't a truly definitive test - but it does show that it should handle drives that stay under the limit. In the case of the power brick, while the technical specification says the USB 3.0 ports provide a maximum of 900mA, I am willing to bet that there is some leeway.

Something to try: hook up the drive while the power is off. Power up and boot into Windows. Can you now see the drive?

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hi, I need to precise it's not clear on my first post. When I said device is not reconized, it's not usb 3.0 but a generic USB I believe USB 2, I can browse disk aswell but speed is decrease opposite to disk plug to power brick.

Thanks.

n_scott_pearson

Are you saying that, when you plug it into the port on the ICS, it is coming up in USB 2.0 mode, not USB 3.0 (and thus is performing at the slower speed)? Do you get a message displaying that says something like "This device can perform faster in another port"?

Are you using the original USB 3.0 cable that came with the drive bay?

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Yes I have the message device can perform faster when connected to usb 3.0 when it's connected to the ICS and no issue when it's connected to power brick. I have the same behaviour with disk my passeport ultra 2To. (WDBMWV0020BBK-EESN)

idata
Community Manager

When connecting a USB 2.0 device on USB 3.0 port you will get a port speed notification. If this is the same when connecting the USB 3.0 drive, please change cables or test different USB 3.0 devices.

Allan.
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I am using the same cable, and this cable work perflecly when it's plugged to power brick.

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

I was just wondering if you tested different cables. I understand you mentioned one of the cables is working but I just wanted to check.

Allan.
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I received an email the case is closed, but it's not realy closed i am using the power brick usb instead the ICS port.

I plugged my keyboard to ICS port.

When I plug it into the port on the ICS, it is coming up in USB 2.0 more, not USB 3.0, same device is used : my passeport ultra 2To. (WDBMWV0020BBK-EESN) , and same cable.

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for updating this thread.

There is no point of using USB3.0 keyboard since USB 3.0 was created for devices which requires high bandwidth transfer rate, like external hard drives. A keyboard has almost no bandwidth needs.

The problem is the usage of the external drive as I can see by the specifications that your driver is indeed USB 3.0.

At this stage, I recommend contacting http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Intel customer support and request warranty for your Intel® Compute stick.

Allan.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Some days later, my computer stick was not able to find any drive connected to power brick.

After contacting Intel customer support, I have updated the bios and and rested the computer stick. I had the same behaviour, my reseller replaced my computer stick.

3 days ago I received my new computer stick, all working fine until windows 10 update, once update done I encountered the same issue. I tried to reset computer but at each try I had an error message and the computer stick has never been reseted.

In addition of the issue on USB device, the computer stick can't restart properly, (restart windows 10 I mean), blue light was lighted on the ICS but boot never comming, even the bios.

I have to unplug and plug the cable of the power supply in order to start the computer !

My reseller will replace again my computer stick I will receive it this day, I will block all windows 10 update.

Anyone of you had issues after windows update ?

Thanks

n_scott_pearson

Lots of people are having issues with Windows 10 Updating. Some of the (so-called) "updates", such as the 1607 Anniversary Update, actually install as O/S upgrades - and all the bugs in their upgrade engine come into play. It does things like delete files required by applications and drivers, deletes whole applications and drivers that it "thinks" are incompatible, etc. and etc. My suggestion, after applying all upgrades, is to uninstall, reboot and then reinstall all of the driver packages available from intel. Do not use the Intel Driver Update Utility; it will not see the need for this to be done (and it is full of its own bugs besides); instead, go to the Intel downloads site and download and manually install the packages yourself. Here is a link ot the update page for your ICS: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91980/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK2m3W64CC Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STK2m3W64CC.

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Were you able to replace the Intel® Compute stick through your local vendor?

Allan.
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Finaly I received my new Intel® Compute stick. First of all I had an issue with language setting during the installation, I reset my computer and before all windows update I have upgraded the BIOS with the last version. Now all is working perfectly with the last windows update and I upgraded windows to professional version.

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Great, I am glad to hear the new Intel® Compute stick is working perfectly.

Allan.