Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MTile
Novice

BSODing out of box, reinstalled Windows, now BSOD when installing 64-bit graphics drivers

Jump to solution

When I first hooked up the Compute Stick to my HDTV, it was already failing to boot and asking me to attempt to repair Windows, which was stuck at 62%. So I just installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit as that was what was on my bootable USB at the time. Everything works except I cannot install the 64-bit Graphics drivers from here without getting a BSOD after the screen goes black a couple times while it's installing the driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25737/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for... Download Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC

The graphics driver that Windows 10 automatically tries to install from Windows update also causes it to crash. All of the other 64-bit drivers worked perfectly fine so I know that's not the issue.

The message it gives me is system_service_exception ks.sys and that was the same BSOD error both times: For when I first hooked it up to the TV and for right now whenever I try to install the graphics driver. This leads me to believe it's a faulty graphics chip. A BSOD out of the box is never a good sign to begin with so maybe I should just exchange it for another where I bought it from?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MTile
Novice

I think I figured it out:

It doesn't like my Vizio. I decided to give it a try with the no-name brand(Sceptre) HDTV in the living room and the driver installed fine. Went and plugged everything back up to the Vizio I've been using this whole time, and sure enough it BSODs almost immediately. It's a half-win since apparently I can't use this on the TV in my room but I did kind of want one for the living room TV anyway. For reference, my Vizio is a 2013 42" E-model. I tried a different HDMI port as well and got the same results.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi j5689,

Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC supports only Windows® 10 32bit. The next generation with Core™ M3 and M5 processors will support Windows® 10 64bit.

The latest graphics driver version is 15.33.41.4338

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86612/Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC Drivers & Software

I suggest you to reset the stick pressing F8 during start up process, update the operating system then, install our drivers.

Regards,

Mike C
MTile
Novice

I forgot to mention I actually have the new STK1AW32SC

Chris_V_Intel

Thanks for the update j5689, but the new Compute Stick does not support a 64-bit OS either. Please try re-installing Windows 10 32-bit.

MTile
Novice

Well, I returned the old stick earlier this week and got a replacement. Same exact thing happened. Immediately out of the box, I couldn't even successfully boot into Windows so I reinstalled W10 64-bit and got a BSOD for ks.sys when installing graphics drivers. I reinstalled W10 32-bit this morning and used all the drivers specifically for the STK1AW32SC using 32-bit Windows 10 and I still could not install the graphics drivers without that same BSOD.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. That's the 2nd Compute Stick I've had this problem with now. Maybe I just got two defective ones in a row by chance. Nobody else who bought one on Amazon is having this kind of trouble with drivers. I set everything up correctly, I've had it plugged directly into the wall for power at all times so it was never accidentally power-starved by plugging it into the USB on my TV like some people try.
MTile
Novice

I think I figured it out:

It doesn't like my Vizio. I decided to give it a try with the no-name brand(Sceptre) HDTV in the living room and the driver installed fine. Went and plugged everything back up to the Vizio I've been using this whole time, and sure enough it BSODs almost immediately. It's a half-win since apparently I can't use this on the TV in my room but I did kind of want one for the living room TV anyway. For reference, my Vizio is a 2013 42" E-model. I tried a different HDMI port as well and got the same results.

View solution in original post

Chris_V_Intel

Hmm, that's really interesting, but thank you for that information, you can be assured I will let the GFX engineers know!

cgiar
Beginner

cvare,

I have 10 of these (STK1AW32SC) and having the exact same problem.. I've got the following variations of VIZIO television, and all 10 of the devices bluescreen (Exception Error - KS.SYS) immediately when connected to any one of the VIZIO TV's..

VIZIO is a fairly popular brand in the US, so I would expect some degree of compatibility testing during the product development phase that included at least one of these products.

- E500i-A0

- M550SL

- E420i-A0

These sticks are plain vanilla out of the box, with zero changes.. I've tried forcing the native Microsoft driver and that works for about 5-7mins.. but then subsequently bluescreens. I've even gone as far as to disable Windows Updates for the Intel driver (by installing Microsoft's "Show/Hide Updates" tool) to ensure that the Intel driver isn't being inadvertently recognized by the OS and installed over the native driver... and that doesn't work either.

I've installed the driver detection tool from your website, and updated all of the drivers.. and no luck.

Please advise..@cvare