cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Bluetooth module on Edison connect to Device

Hi,

I am following this tutorial :https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/connecting-to-intel-edison-from-android-with-bluetooth-le-... Grove%20BLE%20V1 IoT - Connecting to Intel® Edison from Android* with Bluetooth* LE (BLE) | Intel® Developer Zone where the user uses the Grover Seed BLE Module, however I want to use the embedded BLE module BCM43340. Is anyone able to tell me where I can find the SERVICE value and CHARACTERISTIC_TX and CHARACTERISTIC_RX for the BCM43340?

Thanks much!

11 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello a_Monteiro,

Let me see what I can find out about it. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

You can find the characteristics for the BCM43340 by running the following commands on Edison:

1. rfkill unblock bluetooth

2. bluetoothctl

3. show

This will list all the details of the Bluetooth controller on Edison.

This is what my Edison showed:

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Intel_Peter,

That seems promising, however, it seems that when I run the bluetoothctl, my edison freezes whether over ssh or serially. I am not able to write 'show' so that I can see that information. Is there anything that I need to run before I enter any commands or so that the freezing doesnt happen ? When i run systemctl start bluetoothctl:

???

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

You don't have to type that entire command with bluetoothctl will suffice. So, all you need to type will be:

1. rfkill unblock bluetooth

2. bluetoothctl

3. show

Just like shown below:

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi,

I ran the same exact way you mentioned, but the problem still persists, the terminal freezes as soon as the bluetoothctl is entered.

Should I do a flashall method again ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

It is very weird that this happened, so yes, I do believe the best option right now is to reflash your board. Do it and let us know if the behavior persist.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hey Intel_Peter,

I am usigna mac trying to do the flashall method but my board is not being recognized. What can I do ?

Admir M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

You could try the Flash Tool Lite. The tool itself and a guide on how to use it can be found in https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison/downloads IoT - Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone. Try to flash your board with this method and let us know what happens.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hey Intel_Peter,

2 things :

1. I followed the setup guide for the flash tool but the app times out every time no matter how i try to connect the micro usb connectors. So this method does not work for me.

2. I attempted the flash all method and this is the outcome, kind of the same response as the flash light tool(This does not work):

I don't know how else to approach this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I have sent you a private message, please check it out.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hey,

For some weird reason, I am able to easily follow the flashall method with Linux OS and all is fine.

As mentioned before, on MAC-OSX, the above picture, shows the error of timeout after the flashing restart begins.

I am now able to restart my Edison from scratch, and the bluetootctl is now able to work and not freeze.

Admir M.

0 Kudos