cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EEdwa2
Beginner

Board not recognised when flashing

Hello all,

I would like to ask the community's help for a problem I cannot get around. I have an Edison which I have been trying get started with. I have meticulously followed the instructions for installing the firmware as provided on the Intel website onto a Windows 7 64-bit machine. When the automatic "intel_edison_setup_win_v2016.2.007.exe" module didn't work, I set about a manual installation by downloading the Yocto Poky image from here (https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison/downloads Downloads for Intel® Edison Module | IoT | Intel® Software). As you can see in the attached images, the board is recognised on the computer but it never gets detected for the purposes of installing the firmware. To me, these symptoms seem to contradict each other. There are some tutorials (such as this one https://youtu.be/0EJDoRwDfoU?t=2m57s Getting Started with Intel Edison Part 2: Updating Linux - YouTube) which suggest copying the contents of the Yocto image to the drive itself, then flashing it using the serial connection. However when I do this with the latest version, it says there isn't enough space on the drive.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Edward

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

Thank you very much for your interest in Intel Edison Platform.

That is strange that the Run Setup Tool didn't work, but don't worry, I'd love to help you with that. We would like to know what you are getting when run "intel_edison_setup_win_v2016.2.007.exe", if any of those steps fail, I've run that and flashed the Edison without any issue. However, we'd like to suggest you to try this other method in order to flash your Edison.

Please take a look at this link and follow the instructions for Windows: /docs/DOC-25154 How to Run the Flashall Script.

Let us know your results and if you have any questions or need more help, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

-Yermi

idata
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

We would like to know if you have followed our suggestions and have flashed your Edison. Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

-Yermi

EEdwa2
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Yermi. Unfortunately neither of the methods work. It's bizarre that the board is recognized both in the Ports menu of the Device Manager and as an external hard drive, as I showed in the original screenshots, but it is not being recognized by either of the flashing utilities.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

Absolutely, as you mentioned, it is strange that the Edison board is recognized in the Device manager and neither of the methods work. However, we would like to know if when you followed the method using the Flashall.bat, you have included the dfu-util-exe inside the folder where the "Yocto* Complete image" files were extracted, and also be sure to reboot the Edison. We ran it and were able to flash the Edison as you can see in the picture below:

Please, check that and let us know if the issue continues, we'll be waiting for your reply.

Regards,

-Yermi

idata
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

We would like to know if you have any update or need more assistance.

Regards,

-Yermi

EEdwa2
Beginner

Unfortunately none of the above techniques have worked. I even got a new board, and it still fails to be recognised.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

Thanks for trying the methods above, it is strange that even with another Edison board you are getting the same issue, did you check if the dfu-util-exe is included inside the folder where the "Yocto* Complete image" files were extracted?

Moreover, we would like to suggest you to try with the setup tool and follow the debugging steps mentioned in this link: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/637975# setup-tool-not-detecting-board Troubleshooting & Tips, section "The setup tool is not detecting my board". Additionally, we would like to know if you are getting an error message after trying to flash the board.

Please, let us know if those steps fix your issue. We'll be waiting for your reply.

Regards,

-Yermi

EEdwa2
Beginner

Thanks very much for pointing me to that website. I didn't know USB cables had different capabilities. It turns out I was using one which didn't have data transmit capability.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

We're glad that we can help you with your issue and now you are able to flash your Edison.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

-Yermi