Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

Building xFSTK on Ubuntu 14.04 (32-bit) for flashing Edison

DHunt5
Valued Contributor I

If you want to use the flashall.sh method of installing operating systems on your Edison, then it's more than likely that you'll need to install xFSTK. I've spent a few hours trying to get it building, and have failed to get it building on a 64-bit OS, so I finally got it working on Ubuntu 14-04 (32-bit). Once I got the 32-bit OS installed, it was rather straightforward, but with a different method to that on the front of the xFSTK sourceforge page.

Download the latest version of xFSTK onto your Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit system from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xfstk/files/ here and extract.

tar xvfz xfstk-dldr-linux-source-1.7.2.tar.gz

cd xfstk-build/linux-source-package

sudo apt-get install g++ qtcreator build-essential devscripts libxml2-dev alien doxygen graphviz libusb-dev libboost-all-dev

Also, a couple of missing packages needed for the build and packager not mentioned on the sourceforge page

sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev qt4-qmake

Set a couple of environment variables (the packaging at the end of the build script will fail if these are not set)

export DISTRIBUTION_NAME=ubuntu14.04

export BUILD_VERSION=0.0.0

Now to tweak the build script for a faster compilation. Edit 'package-xfstk-downloader-linux.sh' and search for the line with 'make --version' and add a '-j x' onto the end, where x is the number of processors you have available on your build system. Example

make --version -j 6

now run the script to build and package xFSTK:

./package-xfstk-downloader-linux.sh

If all goes well, that will build everything and produce an installable .deb package in ./xfstk-build/installer/linux/ubuntu/

and and installable rpm package in ./xfstk-build/installer/linux/fedora/

You can then install the .deb package using 'dpkg -i'

Rgds,

Dave.

11 Replies
Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

built it fine on OpenSuse 12.2 x64 some days ago. Just some dependencies to figure out. Built fine and works great

TKanw
Beginner

I was able to get this working on Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit after a bit of playing with it.

I had to additionally:

• Install libusb-1.0-0-dev
  • Symlink /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libusb-1.0.a at /usr/lib/libusb.a

I also built using their cmake instructions rather than their package builder, which didn't seem to work. Instead, I ran:

mkdir build

cd build

cmake ..

make package

This make a .deb, which I installed with dpkg -i with no problems.

idata
Community Manager

Hi @David_J_Hunt ,.

I've followed all the steps above. But when I run the last command,

./package-xfstk-downloader-linux.sh , it shows the following error:-

g++: error: /usr/lib/libusb.a: No such file or directory

make[4]: *** [../../../xfstk-build/bin/debug/downloader-solo/xfstk-dldr-solo] Error 1

make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/x3/Downloads/xfstk-build/linux-source-package/xfstk-projects/core/downloader-solo'

make[3]: *** [debug-all] Error 2

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/x3/Downloads/xfstk-build/linux-source-package/xfstk-projects/core/downloader-solo'

make[2]: *** [sub-downloader-solo-make_default-ordered] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/x3/Downloads/xfstk-build/linux-source-package/xfstk-projects/core'

make[1]: *** [sub-core-make_default-ordered] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/x3/Downloads/xfstk-build/linux-source-package/xfstk-projects'

make: *** [sub-xfstk-projects-make_default-ordered] Error 2

make: Leaving directory `/home/x3/Downloads/xfstk-build/linux-source-package'

ERROR: make -w step problem

any solution please ??

Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

have you installed libusb???

idata
Community Manager

yes.. libusb-dev is installed

I have done this before. but at that time everything went fine. but this time it is throwing error. I don't know why

Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

but apparently it's not in /usr/lib/libusb.a?

Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

so you might have to add to LD_LIBRARY_PATH

idata
Community Manager

right now I'm working on taht only.

my libusb.a file was stored in /usr/lib/i386-gnu-linux/libusb.a so I just transferred it into /usr/lib/ folder.

and now the process completed successfully..

MMunu
Novice

g++: error: /usr/lib/libusb.a: No such file or directory

make[4]: *** [../../../xfstk-build/bin/debug/downloader-solo/xfstk-dldr-solo] Error 1

I am new to Ubuntu and this forum. Trying to get XFSTK build but I am getting the same error. I have installed libusb but unable to find the file called libusb.a anywhere.

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev

Please help. 

CCarc
Novice

Hi, i am having some issues compiling. Before checking all every one comment, i still get some errors.

Do you have some ideas?

Andriy_S_Intel
Employee

The latest code of xFSTK with community fixes is available on GitHub: https://github.com/edison-fw/xFSTK