cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HHank
Beginner

CMOS registers

Hi everyone,

I am aware that the Edison exposes an RTC via the PMIC, x86 RTC chips usually have an extra space (114 bytes) dedicated to BIOS configuration and such.

Linux does indeed expose a file (/dev/nvram) which seems to map to CMOS registers. I have tried writting to /dev/nvram, but it seems that those bytes are reset on reboot.

Does the Edison's RTC have CMOS registers, and if it is the case, how can I use them?

Regards.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi CookieMeister,

We'll investigate to see what information is available about CMOS registers. We'll contact you as soon as we have more information.

-Sergio

HHank
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

HHank
Beginner

Hi,

Are there any news about this matter?

Regards.

idata
Community Manager

Hi CookieMeister,

We've not forgotten about your case. We're still investigating and will contact you as soon as we have an update.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi CookieMeister,

Thank you for your patience. We'd like to know more information about your project. What is your goal specifically and what you want to do with the registers?

-Sergio

HHank
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

I have used RTC volatile memory in other embedded platforms, so they could be filesystem agnostic, corruption resistant, and also a means to detect spurious reboots.

Regards.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for your reply. We'll look into this and reply as soon as possible.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for your patience. We've looked for information about the CMOS registers, but I'm afraid, I couldn't find anything I was able to share. I know this may not be the outcome you expected, but some features on the Edison, such as the CMOS registers are not publicly available. Please let us know if you have any other questions related to this case. We'll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio

HHank
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

Let me understand. There is no information about this feature? Or the information is private and it is forbidden to share it?

Regards.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and giving us the opportunity to clarify this.

The information is available, but it can't be shared with end developers. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

-Pablo