Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

CPU Power management on Yocto (edison-image) C-states

PIERRE_C_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to manage the power of the Edison Atom CPU. I have never done that before, but I have read that it's possible to reduce the clock of a CPU via /sys/devices/cpu/... .

I have also read that each processor can be switched to differents performance states (P-states) or power saving states (C-states). Here I think I have understood that every processor can be switched from C0 (full performance, max clock frequency) to C3 (power saving, low clock frequency). On some specific CPU we can set the power state down to C10.

I have found that the Atom processor of the Edison can be set to C6 (or C7 I'm not sure).

However, I can't find a way to manage those modes via the linux fs of the official yocto image.

I am also a little confused about how the C-states are related to clock frequencies. Do C-states only shut down some parts in the cpu? And reducing the clocks frequencies correspond only to reducing voltage in the circuit? I mean, in C6 mode we can't reduce clock's frequency because they are off right?

So my questions are: How to manage power in user space ? How to switch cpu in different C-modes?

Could you confirm or not what I am saying?

Thank you in advance.

Pierre Collet

13 Replies
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi pierre.collet,

Those are interest questions. Let me investigate about them and as soon as I get some useful information I will post it here.

Regards,

Diego.

idata
Community Manager

I also am very interested in this question. The default energy consumption of the Atom CPU on the Edison is pretty high and I wan't to see if I can better manage the battery life.

idata
Community Manager

I did some more digging into this today to see if the Edison would respond to any typical ways of changing the CPU into different power states. Nothing I tried seemed to have much impact yet though I have concluded testing. I'll post some rough notes of what I tried for build on or share their experiences. That being said I guess none of us will get too far until we have more info from Intel that I gather they are collecting now given Diego's statement above.

So I noted when exploring the /sys/device/* file system that each core of the Atom are shown as cpu0 and cpu1 (e.g., /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/). When I explored in both cores the available frequencies it seems that only 1 is possible -- 500 Mhz, such as when I tried this:

root@edison:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# cat scaling_available_frequencies

There were three governors available:

root@edison:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# cat scaling_available_governors

ondemand userspace performance

But when I tried these settings I didn't find much performance or energy difference -- though I just had a quick look.

Under each core I found 4 states available (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/stateX) Typical values for these states were as so:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/desc:CPUIDLE CORE POLL IDLE

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/disable:0

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/latency:0

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/name:POLL

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/power:4294967295

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/time:577513

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/usage:67

And each has a description that seemed meaningful, though I didn't know how to interpret it. I tried disabling each state while under different governor settings thinking that this might change which power states were available during computation but again this didn't seem to result in much change.

I saw there were options for potentially turning off cores as is possible in other platforms for example:

root@edison:/sys/devices/system/cpu# echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/offline

-sh: can't create /sys/devices/system/cpu/offline: Permission denied

But as you can see the OS complained. Anyway I hope this helps others who are searching for the same type of options. And perhaps someone can suggest other things to try.

MMich22
New Contributor II

This is what I run into.

/message/262817# 262817 https://communities.intel.com/message/262817# 262817

MMich22
New Contributor II

I just wanted to ask for a status update about power saving.

Best regards

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi rosenrot,

There is no update yet. We are still investigating about the C-states. When I get information about it I will post it here.

Regards,

Diego.

idata
Community Manager

Any updates? This is 3 months later..

MMich22
New Contributor II

6 months later....please give some support for this mandatory feature.

MMich22
New Contributor II

Pretty please tell me that you finished investigating months ago but just forgot to tell me!

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi guys,

I know a lot of time has passed, and you have been waiting for an update on this topic. We've been investigating on this, but unfortunately, this functionality is not implemented even in the new releases, and currently there are no plans to implement power management.

Regards,

Diego

JOSE_G_Intel2
Employee

I wonder if anyone found something useful about this topic?

MLópe2
New Contributor I

Nothing yet?

CGrig1
Beginner

I would also appreciate some update on the status of power saving in Edison.

Cheers,

.costin