cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KChun10
Beginner

CPU doesn't go above 800 MHz in Ubuntu 16.04/16.10/17.04, BIOS is 1D1

Hi Community!

I'm trying to get a few Joule 570x up and running on Ubuntu, but running into performance issues. There isn't a clear example that demonstrates the performance I should expect from the Joule 570x, but I feel like it should be better. I've run Sunspider 1.0.2 benchmark and compared it to old iPhone 5 (and other old Android phones) and the Joule performs worse. It's getting about 1500ms or so. I also check "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and all the cores stay at 799MHz and less.

Config

- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, also tried Ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04 to no avail

- I've modified the PL1 setting from 4 to 5 to 9 and everything in between... no difference in performance and CPU frequency seems stuck

- I have a fan and heatsink connected to it. It's powered by 12v DC power adapter.

- BIOS rev is the latest 1D1 iteration. full string is GTPP1d1a.x64.0143.b30.1703201838

What's the deal? Is there some method to prove the performance I'm supposed to get? I've tried two difference Joule 570x and they exhibit the same issue. Maybe it's the BIOS??

Here's a pic of my setup if it helps

Ciao.

-rg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello RollerGirl,

Thanks for reaching out!

I would like to point out that Ubuntu is not supported by us and if you'd like more accurate responses, we highly suggest you to contact them directly.

Anyhow, as you can see in Joule's datasheet ( http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-module-datasheet...) the 570x frequency is 1.7GHz and Turbo Boost up to 2.4GHz, so it is strange that you are not able to pass 800MHz. If frequencies above 799MHz are not stated in /proc/cpuinfo, it is possible that it was locked at this speed by the Ubuntu developers. For example using the latest version of the reference OS I'm able to see 1689.663MHz on my Joule.

So, what I can suggest you is that you install a package such as cpufrequtils and try to modify the CPU scaling on your Joule. Otherwise my best suggestion is that you contact Canonical directly.

I hope this information helps you,

Pedro M.
KChun10
Beginner

Hi Pedro,

I noticed a friend's Joule seems to operate and turbo just fine on Ubuntu 16.10. Digging a lil deeper, I noticed that my friend had an older 161 BIOS installed on the Joule. I installed the very same and BINGO - it turbos past 2 GHz and the Sunspider score is a much better 500ms.

Can you please have the Intel team investigate this? This wasn't a Ubuntu change but a BIOS change that allowed my Joule to run faster. There's something unusual about the newer 1D1 version of the BIOS that prevents turboing past 800MHz. I feel like the newer BIOS should fix problems, not create new ones.

BIOS version installed that works is GTPP161A.x64.0143.B30.1611152208

I haven't tried other BIOS versions yet, but I speculate somewhere between 161 and 1D1... something broke the ability to go past 800MHz.

BTW - not sure what you mean Ubuntu 16.04 is not support. It's listed here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/choosing-among-oses https://software.intel.com/en-us/choosing-among-oses

I realize you aren't going to be answer operating system questions, but I hope you can reproduce and investigate issues on 16.04 as it's listed as a suggested (perhaps supported) OS.

Ciao

-rg

idata
Community Manager

Hi RollerGirl,

What I meant with we don't support Ubuntu is exactly what you mentioned, we will not be able to answer OS related questions but indeed hardware related issues will be handled by us.

I'm glad that you were able to find the reason why your Joule was not running at the expected performance. I will make sure to send your feedback to the appropriate team so they can check and handle the situation accordingly. We appreciate that you shared this information with the community.

Pedro M.
idata
Community Manager

Hi RollerGirl,

We have an update for this case.

We would like to inform you that our latest BIOS (1F1) release fixes the issue. This has been tested on the latest official OS (v1704). We suggest you to update your BIOS by following the official guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/721469 and let us know if you see any improvements.

Pedro M.
KChun10
Beginner

Hi Pedro,

i will most certainly check it out. Did the team root cause the issue with bios 1d1 and note how it limited frequency? I wonder if it was specific to just Ubuntu or all operating systems.

thanks for following through, I was hoping this would happen.

ciao

-rg

idata
Community Manager

Yes, as you can see in the release notes of the new BIOS (which can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26786/BIOS-for-Intel-Joule-Compute-Module https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26786/BIOS-for-Intel-Joule-Compute-Module, this package includes the release notes), the issue was caused by saving data to the wrong PlatformInfo data structure pointer.

The release notes do not mention whether this is specific for certain OS or not, however, I would assume that this is general. So, I'd encourage you to try this update and provide us feedback of your experience.

We would like to mention that we work hard to improve our products in order to give you, the users, a better experience with Intel. Therefore, we appreciate whenever you point out an issue that we haven't noticed as well as any feedback on our products.

If you ever have any questions or doubts, please don't hesitate to contact us back, we'll try to help you as much as possible.

Pedro M.

KChun10
Beginner

Hi Pedro,

I feel like we made a difference

I tried out the newest BIOS and it seems to be turboing properly again! Performance is where I believe it should be.

Thanks again and appreciate the follow through.

Ciao!

-rg

idata
Community Manager

I'm glad to hear that!

I hope to hear more from you in the community! Let us know if you have any issues or doubts.

Pedro M.