Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Can Edison sleep for a defined period of time? Can it wake up by itself?

Jump to solution

I'm working on a project where the Edison will be powered from a solar panel and a battery for a long time. I want Edison to be active just for a few hours a day and put it to sleep for a night.

I use this command to start the sleep mode

echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state

I also have an external sensor with IRQ capability and use ISR which wakes up the Edison. But this is not enough. I want to be able to start a sleep mode for a defined period of time and the module should be able to wake up by itself.

Is something like this possible with Yocto 3.0 or do I have to use IRQ/ISR triggered by an external chip with a timer?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello maestr0,

Edison's power states are currently not available, therefore it can't enter the suspend state. We are aware of this issue and the appropriate team has been notified about it.

A different option would be to create a similar design to the PWR button on the Arduino Expansion board so you can send a 10 second long signal to turn on the board from its power off state.

Peter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello maestr0,

Edison's power states are currently not available, therefore it can't enter the suspend state. We are aware of this issue and the appropriate team has been notified about it.

A different option would be to create a similar design to the PWR button on the Arduino Expansion board so you can send a 10 second long signal to turn on the board from its power off state.

Peter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

To be honest, I´m absolutely disappointed about this issue and especially the way how Intel is trying to "fix" it. How is it possible to release a dedicated IoT-device, which is not capable to be switched between low-power/sleep and normal mode?

After half a year developing an application in automotive segment using Edison as main host system, we are kicking it out of the design!

To any professional developer in this community, I try to warn you on using Intel Edison for new designs, there is no support from Intel at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello HSD_Bert,

We are sorry that you feel that way, however we assure you that we care about our users and that we strive to provide the best support we can. Currently this is a limitation with the platform and we are working on a fix, nevertheless there's no ETA on when it'll be available.

Peter.
0 Kudos