Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

Can I use non-Galileo boards with  IDE 1.5.3 ?

BStar1
New Contributor I

During testing I need to work on traditional Arduino boards (MEGA) and Galileo but from what I can see IDE 1.5.3 only supports Galileo. Do I need to install another IDE in the same computer to support the MEGA ? Any Arduino IDE version is OK ? Any conflicts with 1.5.3 to be aware ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FLupi
Novice

No you can't use different board from galileo. The galileo ide is for x86. The other arduino board are AVR and made by Atmel. So you need to install the appropriate IDE, maybe the last one is the 1.5 in beta and support also the Arduino Due Board.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
FLupi
Novice

No you can't use different board from galileo. The galileo ide is for x86. The other arduino board are AVR and made by Atmel. So you need to install the appropriate IDE, maybe the last one is the 1.5 in beta and support also the Arduino Due Board.

View solution in original post

ADRIAN_B_Intel
Employee

hi,

Above is true.

In the future Galileo should be packaged with the latest Arduino IDE itself but for now its standalone so you have to download it separately.

-a

clayton_H_Intel
Employee

I have two Arduino IDEs installed, and it would be much better if I only had to install one.

Are there any plans to integrate the x86 IDE with the other Arduino IDE, or will they always be separate?

TFlum
Valued Contributor I

chofrock: As I understand it, the x86 build environment for the Galileo board will be merged into the official Arduino, but Arduino release cycles aren't that often, and getting this out for Maker Faire in Rome required some tight deadlines I'm sure.

About a year ago, the Arduino IDE got an update to the structure, that made it easier to support multiple build targets, like AVR, ARM, etc. so adding the x86 shouldn't be that difficult, but the complete package will be a heavy download.

/Thomas

clayton_H_Intel
Employee

I look forward to the day when I can have just one Arduino IDE installed. :-) The way it is now is really confusing me. :-)

TFlum
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

I run:

• Arduino 1.0.5 (had issues with 1.5.4 on a particular project)
  • Arduino 1.5.4 (to have support for Arduino Yun)
  • Arduino 1.5.3 (for the Intel Galileo board)

I run these on a Mac and have simply renamed the .app files to have different names so that I know what to start.

If you put libraries in the Arduino folder under Documents, instead of hacking into the .app, they will show up in all the different versions.

They also run simultaneously, but having multiple programs compete for the same serial ports can be tricky...

/Thomas