cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSous4
Novice

Can't connect to galileo via serial connection

Hello,

I used to connect to my Galileo Gen2 using a USB cable and the command screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200 on linux or via putty on windows and it worked fine. But now when I try I get no answer back, the connection is established but I don't get the prompt asking for login and password anymore. When it worked I just had to press enter twice for it to show, but now I can't. I've tried changing the SD card image, even tried without the SD card, but the same problem occurs. I can SSH normally thought.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello julianak,

Can you show me the output of the command ls /dev/tty* ?

Can you attach a picture of the serial cable you are using and how you are connecting it?

You are able to upload sketches and SSH normally right?

Peter.

JSous4
Novice

Hello Peter,

I am using an usb cable via usb client port, since I don't have the FTDI cable to try.

When I connect it to the computer, I get /dev/ttyACM0 port.

When I screen to this port, using screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200, the connection is established but I only get a blank screen.

I have connected using this method many times before, it simply stopped working by no apparent reason.

I can upload sketches and SSH normally thought.

Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

I see, the reason why you are not able to connect to your board's terminal is because you are using the micro-USB port. This port is designed to be used with the Arduino IDE. If you want to access your board's terminal you will have to get a http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035124.htm serial cable. Or you could access your Galileo's Linux using any of the methods found in .

Peter.

JSous4
Novice

But I have used this port since ever and never had a problem, I can't seen to understand why it stopped working.

The FTDI cable is very expensive in my country, and I can SSH, but I can't always have my computer and the board on the same network for this to work, therefore I need serial connection to work like it used to do.

Aren't there any troubleshooting I can follow in order to get it working again?

Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

That's very strange. The normal behavior for the Galileo's client USB port is to be used to upload sketches.

When did it stop working? Did you update the board's firmware before it stopped working or were you using a different image?

Were you able to enter your board's terminal using the USB port since you bought it? Or did you have to do something to do it?

Peter.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi julianak,

As Peter said before, the USB client port is not commonly used for Serial Communication for the terminal prompt. For using the Terminal Console you need to use the specific port with the FTDI cable.

Have you done something to the image that may have caused a difference in how the ports are working?

Did you change the image in the SD card?

Regards,

Charlie

SSerb2
Beginner

Hi Julianak,

I just wanted to know if you had to buy the FTDI cable in the end. I've just start playing with this board (I'm also new in to IoT) and based on all the tutorials I found none of them specify the use of a different Serial-USB cable.

If you managed to access the console through the mini-USB port can you share the procedure? Cause I don't find the reason to pay $30 for a USB cable when I got the board for $60.

With Regards,

Sunny