Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GGord1
Beginner

Can the new Compute Sticks be imaged or backued up

Hi, I just purchased a STK2m364CC (core m-3). Great machine (except for HUGE power adapter and cable).

I've a done a clean and perfect install of Win10 Pro and Office2016 and now I want to create an image of it.

I tried using Acronis 2016, but unfortunately it doesn't recognise it (I assume it has something to do with it being a eMMC drive?)

Is there any good way to create an image ?

Will the Windows10 backup utility work ?

Any suggestions.

PS : Intel : like many people have said - GREAT product, but that power brick is too big. I'm using the tiny 2A Apple adapter. Works fine. Had no probs

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi gzk1,

I suggest you to use Microsoft* backup and image.

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-create-a-system-image-...

Intel is already aware of the concern of the power adapter; hopefully newer stick versions will include a smaller adapter. I regret for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Mike C
idata
Community Manager

I use Clonezilla, it's free and I've used it to create a image and store it on a seperate USB stick. So you need a USB stick for Clonezilla and one for your image. I've re-imaged about 20 of them with no issues. (I have a source compute stick I make changes to then save it as an image to the USB stick) We use the 1st gen compute sticks for digital signage. F10 to boot to another device, unless they changed it in the 2nd gen.

Save to disk with Clonezilla

http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image Save disk image

Restore image to disk with Clonezilla

http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/02_Restore_disk_image Restore disk image

I've not been a fan of any of the built in MS backup/restore utilities since Win8.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Clark_Caldwell,

Thank you for your feedback. I pretty sure your post will help many of our community's members.

Mike C
AHart9
Beginner

I've had very good luck in the past with Clonezilla. I've used it to image and reimage laptops.

I just bought an Intel Compute Stick stk1aw32sc which was wiped clean. I need an image to restore to it. Anyone know where I can get one?

idata
Community Manager

It's a free download from MS. Just pick the x32 version. Load it to a 8GB or larger USB drive. Download tool will do it all for you. You don't need a key for these either. Get the update drivers from Intel's website.

Click the Link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10 Windows 10

AHart9
Beginner

I was hoping for an image of the unit exactly as it came from Intel - to save time, and manually reloading any computer never makes it the same as the factory load.

idata
Community Manager

There's nothing on them other than the software to remotely connect to it through a phone which you can download as well. No office or bloatware. Plus that original image is an older version of Windows and will be upgraded as soon as it connects to Windows update. Which by the way was total crap and ran like crap on the first gen sticks.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks Clark, this is excactly what I've been searching for. We have bought 51 of them and making a reproductible image what a major concern. The re-imaging process is working well exept for one point: The windows 10 Activation key !

@Chris, Neither of the 51 sticks was coming with the 25 digits/letters Windows 10 activation key witten on them. So, once the image has been applied on the sticks how do you re-activate Windows 10 back with their original key ?

What would you suggest ?

What is the risk of not activating back Windows 10 ?

Couldn't find much info from microsoft on this subject.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You can extract the serial number from the existing image using a tool such as Nirsoft's ProduKey...

idata
Community Manager

Thanks Scott.

I also tried ShowKeyPlus that work as well. The key should be stored prior of the re-imaging to be re-applied after the process is complete. Everything's is now under control