Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Can we make a drone with just Intel Edison and its arduino board?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I was wondering can we make a drone without any flight controller or extra hardware, just with Intel Edison and its arduino expansion board also with Groove's starter kit. Can we do so? and how, just a glance. I wanted to make a drone that will live stream the camera to my computer, with a wifi hotspot device in drone and through it Edison will connect to internet. Can we do so?

Thanks,

Durgesh

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hi CyberGhost,

The Wi-Fi and camera part could be possible to do only with the Edison and the Arduino Expansion Board (and a camera of course). Actually, there is a guide about something like this in the following site, I recommend you to check it: https://github.com/drejkim/edi-cam GitHub - drejkim/edi-cam: Video streaming on Intel Edison

However, regarding the "drone" part, I hardly think it could be done without any extra hardware. I'm thinking just in the flying part, you will need motors for this, and a way to power them. Powering the motors through the Arduino Expansion Board is not recommended.

Anyhow, I recommend you to look for drone projects based on the Arduino UNO board. You will find a lot of projects and examples, so you could use them to get a better idea about what you could need to make the drone, and what extra hardware might be needed too. Then, you could port these ideas to Edison.

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Employee

Hi CyberGhost,

The Wi-Fi and camera part could be possible to do only with the Edison and the Arduino Expansion Board (and a camera of course). Actually, there is a guide about something like this in the following site, I recommend you to check it: https://github.com/drejkim/edi-cam GitHub - drejkim/edi-cam: Video streaming on Intel Edison

However, regarding the "drone" part, I hardly think it could be done without any extra hardware. I'm thinking just in the flying part, you will need motors for this, and a way to power them. Powering the motors through the Arduino Expansion Board is not recommended.

Anyhow, I recommend you to look for drone projects based on the Arduino UNO board. You will find a lot of projects and examples, so you could use them to get a better idea about what you could need to make the drone, and what extra hardware might be needed too. Then, you could port these ideas to Edison.

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post