Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GCasa
Beginner

Cannot play smooth 1080p mkv on m3 stick STK2m3W64CC

Have been using this Intel Compute Stick for a while, with Windows 10.

During last couple of weeks, I am unable to play smooth 1080p video using any player (Windows Media Player, VLC, and some others). Also tried using several mkv files.

Graphic interface is slow and laggy. had to disable all visual effects to get decent performance, but no luck with video playback.

Updated all drivers to latest version from Intel site, looking specifically for STK2m3W64CC versions.

No luck either. Interface keeps laggy. Even windows button when slide-opening the start menu is laggy if I don't disable all visual effects.

Definitely a software / drivers issue, it was working fine until 2-3 weeks.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel® Communities Team, GermanErnst.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the http://https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box. Also, I would like to know the model of the monitor or TV you are using. Furthermore, what are the resolution set for the display and the refresh rate? In the meantime, please download the https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27565/eng/CC0054.bio 0054 BIOS version and update it on your Compute Stick by following https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006039/mini-pcs/intel-compute-sticks.htm... this guide.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello, GermanErnst.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached to the post above and the results.

Antony S.

GCasa
Beginner

Hello Anthony, sorry for the late reply, been out for the weekend.

Please find attached System Support Utility log.

Already double checked for latest driver versions.

I'm now following the BIOS update you mentioned

GCasa
Beginner

Just completed the BIOS update, already had that version installed. No changes.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your reply, GermanErnst.

Can you please confirm the model of your monitor or TV? And, can you please provide me with the resolution and refresh rate set on the display?

Antony S.
GCasa
Beginner

Hi Antony.

TV is a 42 inch Philips LCD, model 42pfl3615/77 connected via HDMI.

Resolution has been always set to 1920x1080 and for refresh rates I've tried 59Hz and 60Hz. Intel HD Graphics Control Panel defaulted to 59Hz and I also tried 60Hz, with no better performance after the change.

Thanks!

German

idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided, GermanErnst.

I will escalate this case to a different level of support, once I have an update I will let you know.

Antony S.
GCasa
Beginner

Thanks Antony.

One additional detail, is that even when playing Netflix video on Chrome or Edge, the computer becomes excessively slow, and streaming video isn't smooth either.

Seems like an overall graphic performance issue that turns the Intel Stick unusable, since its main purpose is living room tv.

Regards,

German

GCasa
Beginner

intel_corp any updates on this? Has the issue been escalated?

Thanks!

German

idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your patience, Germanernst.

This case is being escalated and under investigation. By the way, can you please share with us which videos or games are the ones that are giving you this problem? It would be very helpful as well if you can share a video when the issue occurs. And, if possible, can you test your Compute Stick with another TV or monitor? This will help us a lot in our research.

Antony S.
GCasa
Beginner

Thanks Antony.

Right now hit is happening with just any Netflix movie, both in Chrome and Edge browsers.

Overall performance drops terribly.

Already tested in second monitor, other HDMI input, no luck either.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your reply, GermanErnst.

Just to clarify, the monitor you tested, is it smaller than your Phillips TV? If so, can you please specify the inches of it?

Antony S.
GCasa
Beginner

I've tested on a different monitor, with 1360x768 resolution. Samsung SyncMaster TA350.

Played Netflix fullscreen and 1080 .mkv 11Gb x264 file with no issues. Of course, the video didn't played at 1080 but 768 since the monitor is not full HD.

The issue occurs when going to 1080 full HD resolution, the Stick just cannot handle it...

Since this system should be able to handle 4k video, I'm surprised to see that it can't even handle 1080 properly.

idata
Community Manager

Hello, GermanErnst.

Thank you very much for that information, it will help us a lot in our research. Once I have an update I will be back to you.

Antony S.
GCasa
Beginner

intel_corp is there any tool to verify the health of the emmc storage within the Compute Stick? Could this be an issue with storage?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It may very well be the eMMC that is responsible for this. Here are Crystal DiskMark reports comparing a SATA SSD on my development PC to the eMMC on the CCm5 ICS:

...S

GCasa
Beginner

Thanks N.Scott.Pearson !!

Tried CrystalDiskMark and I'm getting very similar numbers as you are for the emmc in the ICS...

Of course is slower than a SATA SSD, but still shouldn't be causing any issues. It's still faster than standard HDD where I can still use 1080 resolution with no issues.

I'm still blaming some drivers or update issue, since this started happening one day with no previous notice.

idata
Community Manager

Hello, GermanErnst.

Regarding your question, we do not have any tool to test the EMMC storage.

In this case, I recommend you to go back to a previous https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Windows* Restore Point where your system was working fine. This might generate data loss so please make sure back up all your data before you perform this troubleshooting step.

Please share with us the results.

Antony S.
GCasa
Beginner

Already did 3 full restores using Windows 10 backup&restore options. Lost everything in every restore since I selected to clean personal apps and files as well.

Fresh start, reinstall drivers using Intel application to auto-detect system and drivers and still no luck.