cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CMaho2
Beginner

Cant update bios to SC_0041

Hi

I have just bought a used compute stick (STK1AW32SC) [edited]. Once I updated the drivers and turned off over scan in my monitor settings its been plain sailing.

My stick came with the Creators update on it already and it updated to the April 2018 update with no issues.

As I went along, I tried to update the BIOS a number of time to the latest version, but each time, using the F7 method, the machine would reboot rather than update the BIOS.

So I did all my updates on SC_0029.

I tried to figure out why the BIOS wouldn't update, and I thought, ah, maybe its to do with 32/64 bit. So I toggled the downloads to 32-bit Windows and an Express install for SC_0038 appeared. So I ran that, and the BIOS upgraded perfectly.

But the Intel page insists there is a later version, but as far as I can see there is no Express installer for SC_0041, yet, looking down the page, there appear to have been Windows installers for all the previous BIOS updates.

So is the SC_0041 update something we are meant to update to or not? I looked at the UFEI method, but that looks techie and risky. Or is there something special I need to do to the Fat32 USB stick?

I suspect this might be the last BIOS for this stick (despite the Manufacture date of 30 August 2017!!). So I'd like to figure this out.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Verify the complete model number of your stick.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

Currently, there is no express bios.

Get a usb stick, do a FULL format on a windows pc, do not make it bootable, and put bios 0041 on it.

Then, boot the stick with F2 and confirm Secure boot is NOT enabled.

Then, with your USB stick plugged into the stick, boot the stick with F7, and install 0041.

Afterwards, enable Secure Boot (if you want).

Report back.

Doc

CMaho2
Beginner

Hi

I spend the evening slow formatting a 32GB stick.

I put the BIO on the stick, no folders.

Checked BIOS via F2 and no secure boot.

Reboot with F7 for the upgrade and I get the same result, I say yes to BIOS upgrade and the stick reboots into Windows instead.

I just saw elsewhere to try recovery method. Its past midnight now, so I'll look at that in the morning.

AlHill
Super User

I would also try a different USB stick.

Doc

CMaho2
Beginner

Good news and thank you to al.hill for helping me, and making me go through all the basics.

It turns out...

The download of the BIOS I did at the very beginning, before I upgraded the drivers, was corrupted.

I tried the BIOS recovery this morning, and couldn't get it to work, so I decided to go back to the download page and re-download it. To start from scratch.

There I realised that the download was 7.5MB, but on the stick the file was 6.5MB.

So I replaced it with the 7.5MB version and the F7 method worked flawlessly.

AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

NWorl1
Beginner

I have a similar problem except, I got the 0041 bios on the stick, but it kept booting to the startup menu and then goes to a blank screen. The blank screen is attempting to boot into Windows 10 . I know this because when I recycle the stick, going to off , there is a slight change in the screen brightness. I also can boot into recovery mode. The problem is that the recovery mode goes through all of it's iterations as if it recovered, then boots into installing Windows( blue screen, don't turn off your PC.) installs 6%, then goes to a blank screen as if it is rebooting and then hangs. nothing happens for a long-long time, so I recycle after 1 hour and the same thing happens. I surmise that one of the eMMc modules is bad. I have ordered another stick, but wpould like to know anybody's opinion of what went wrong