Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTang4
Novice

Choosing Yocto or Ubilinux for my Project

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I am very new to this and was wondering what distro would be best for my current situation. I am using an Intel Edison with Ubilinux currently installed. On my Edison I have an Apache2 server installed.

In my current project I need the Intel Edison to act as the master and an Arduino Uno to act as a slave. The goal is to be able to choose what commands to send to the Arduino Uno via the webserver.

Any and all help is appreciated. Please ask me any questions that you have. Also if you have any suggestions on how I should go about completing my project please leave them! The Edison and Arduino can either be connected via serial connection preferably but wifi/bluetooth is also an option.

Current components that I have are: Intel Edison, Sparkfun Baseblock, Sparkfun Arduino block, Breadboard, Sparkfun ADC block, Sparkfun 9D0F block, and an Arduino Uno.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Ubilinux is Debian-based so if you're familiar with any Debian distribution Ubilinux would be a good option. But, as Romonaga said, in terms of functionality both distributions are capable of handling your project. The only difference I can think of is regarding the support that you'll get. For the Yocto image, you can post any question that you might have in this Community. For Ubilinux, the EmutexLabs guys are the ones in charge of the support.

If you're going with Yocto, this is an excellent thread /thread/101059 https://communities.intel.com/thread/101059.

Kind regards,

Pablo

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RRobe17
New Contributor I

Anyone of the 2 would work for your application. I see nothing in your parts, and nothing in your stated goal that lead me to think one is better over the other. Myself, I stuck with Yocto.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Ubilinux is Debian-based so if you're familiar with any Debian distribution Ubilinux would be a good option. But, as Romonaga said, in terms of functionality both distributions are capable of handling your project. The only difference I can think of is regarding the support that you'll get. For the Yocto image, you can post any question that you might have in this Community. For Ubilinux, the EmutexLabs guys are the ones in charge of the support.

If you're going with Yocto, this is an excellent thread /thread/101059 https://communities.intel.com/thread/101059.

Kind regards,

Pablo

View solution in original post