Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GBote2
Beginner

Compute Stick (Linux) No 8GB onboard memory

Just popped open a new Intel Compute Stick (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). Great idea, but I have one question. Where is the 8 GB of eMMC memory? All that I can access is the Micro SD card and the 419.4 MB that is left on the 5.1 GB internal drive, after a Ubuntu update.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JHile
Novice

From a terminal run

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

The partition PQSERVICE is the system recovery partition which takes up a lot of that valuable space.

I had to delete the old kernels as well as Libra Office and Chrome to get enough space to do any useful things with the Stick.

Check the Ubuntu help systems for instructions on how to safely remove old kernels and read the warnings first.

I don't know if Intel deliberately put out a nobbled system so the Windows users wouldn't feel so bad, or if they had no idea what they were doing. Either way, the lack of storage has produced a frustrating product.

Jim

JSams1
New Contributor I

So its a good thing that you can plop in an sdcard, eh?

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi botello,

Intel released this new device Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A8LFC last year. It is the first smallest computer for end customers.

Intel is already developing newer versions with more hard drive, RAM, better WIFI connection and more features. They will be available at as soon as they are ready to be launch.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/compute-stick-product-brief.html Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC, STCK1A8LFC Product Brief

Regards,

Mike C