Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FDano
Novice

Compute Stick Part Deux!

I'm back with a new stick (STK1AW32SC). Right out of the box this one has fewer issues than the last (I didn't need to reinstall Remote Keyboard on the PC). I was also able to get to Threshold 2, so I'm running the current version of Windows. That said, one problem still remains… The overscan issue that I had with the last one persists. However, this time the update to Intel HD Graphics driver v 20.19.15.4364 didn't correct the problem. Changing the scaling settings (under Display, then General Settings) has no effect whatsoever no matter the setting. Any ideas on why this would be when it worked fine on the last stick? I don't even have any other software installed yet, only Microsoft and Intel software and their updates… I also noticed that if I change the screen resolution the text changes sizes but the icons and other graphics don't. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi InfoSysLib,

Let's try to narrow down the issue. Please update the BIOS to the latest version 0019 then, get into the BIOS, reset the settings with F9 and save changes.

Please use your stick with Windows® 10 default settings for a while 1 or 2 days and let me know how it works.

Regards,

Mike C
FDano
Novice

I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning. What do you mean by Windows 10 default settings though? Are you referring to the default BIOS settings? Thanks!

FDano
Novice

The update to BIOS 019 went well. Sadly, it had no effect on the overscan. Scaling still has no effect whatsoever...

Thoughts?

FDano
Novice

Eureka, Mike! Got it to work by doing the following:

1. Update BIOS to v 0019 (I used the F7 method)
  2. (F2 on boot) Reset BIOS to defaults (F9)
  3. Save BIOS settings (F10)
  4. Settings
  5. System
  6. Display
  7. Advanced display settings - bottom of page
  8. Display adapter properties - bottom of page (Generic PnP monitor Intel HD graphics properties)
  9. Intel graphics control panel (tab)
  10. Set scaling to Scale Full Screen
  11. Apply & OK

Once you get this thing to work it's a fabulous little media PC , thanks!

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi InfoSysLib,

I am glad your system is working properly and thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,

Mike C
FDano
Novice

I spoke too soon. Now there are two other issues: First, the System HALT! at boot is back (every fifth or sixth boot maybe). I thin this is a BIOS 0019 issue because that happened after I installed 0019 last time. Whatever. It works, I'll wait until the next BIOS update and flash that. The bigger issue is that after the BIOS update I seem to have lost about 3GB of space. There is nothing in the Windows.old folder anymore and I was saving that just in case. Now I no longer have the old Windows to revert to nor do I have the 3GB it was occupying! See attached for a screen shot of my disk space and programs... Any ideas to recover this

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi InfoSysLib,

The BIOS is kept on an eprom chip of the stick; the amount of memory inside the eMMC is not affected. The STK1AW32SC comes with almost 19GB of space.

Are you still using Windows® 10 32bit or updated to 64bit?

Regards,

Mike C
FDano
Novice

Nope. Still running 32bit. How many GB should be free after Threshold 2? Isn't there about 3GB missing here with only 1.16 GB of programs installed? I have nothing saved internally...

idata
Community Manager

Hi InfoSysLib

After installing the latest BIOS and drivers the stick might have around 18.6GB of free space.

Regards,

Mike C