Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JVink
Beginner

Compute stick only connects to Dell monitor using HDMI extender, not directly?

Hi,

I'm using the Compute Stick 2016 on Windows 10.

I'm connecting it to my Dell U2515H monitor.

It is working fine when I connect the Compute Stick to the monitor using the HDMI extender cable.

However, when I try to connect without the HDMI extender cable, there is no image (the monitor does not seem to recognize the Compute Stick and monitor goes to sleep mode).

I have updated all the drivers and updated the Compute Stick firmware, no firmware update available for the Dell monitor.

What could be the issue and solution?

Many thanks

Jan

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello jmvink:

Based on the information you gave us it seems to be the problem could be related to the HDMI version the monitor has, I looked for the specifications of it but it does not show which HDMI version is it, and maybe the extender is doing the conversion and that is why it works that way.

Did you test the other HDMI port?

Did it work fine before?

Did you test the stick on a different monitor?

A BIOS update is always an option in this case, you mentioned you have the latest version installed, but just in case here is the link to do it:

Instructions to do a BIOS update using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000006039.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000006039.html

A .BIO file needed to do the update to version 0030, latest:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26448/BIOS-Update-SCCHTAX5-86A-?product=91065 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26448/BIOS-Update-SCCHTAX5-86A-?product=91065

Any further questions, please let me know.

Alberto

JVink
Beginner

Thank you for the comment.

Has not worked without the extender before.

Indeed I upgraded the BIOS to 0030.

The Dell monitor seems to be HDMI 1.4 ( https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-u2515h-with-25-inch-2560-x-1440-panel/)

On my LG TV it works when I plug it in directly without the extender cable.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ok, not trying to sound facetious, but if it works with the extender in place, um, just leave it.

...S

JVink
Beginner

I preferred to use without extender, since the monitor back is visible in my living room and wanted to make it less messy :-)

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The extender is provided for this very reason: to avoid (lack of) full insertion issues caused by other connectors, etc. It may seem messier, but solves the problem. You could also get a much longer entender and move the unit elsewhere if this makes things "cleaner"...

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson and Repeat%20Offender for the comments posted previously.

To jmvink:

For this scenario the problem might be related to the stick itself, but additionally as an option you can also use a longer extender if you need to have that type of configuration.

Any further questions or if you need more information, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto
idata
Community Manager

Hello jmvink:

I just wanted to check if the problem with the stick still persists or if it was resolved and also if you were able to get a longer extender?

Remember, since it worked on your LG TV it means that there might be a compatibility problem with the Dell U2515H monitor.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

JVanB
Valued Contributor II

I thought the issue might be more physical. I have an old Vizio monitor with HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and HDMI side. The first two ports position the input in a vertical attitude, but HDMI side has a horizontal orientation. There is a couple of degrees of play in HDMI side and the center of mass of the Compute Stick is positioned a couple of inches out from the TV when it's mounted directly, but only a half inch or less when it's hanging from the HDMI extender. The difference in torque can make it hang at an awkward angle and seems to be sufficient to cause flashing of the image seen on the TV.

JVink
Beginner

It might be related to this indeed:

When plugging in the stick without the extender, the display immediately jumps from to "power saving mode" (instead of "No HDMI cable connected, when the stick is not plugged in). So it seems the monitor is detecting the stick, but not correctly.

When I plug the stick half-way into the extender, the monitor also jumps to "power saving mode"; when I then plug it in fully into the extender, the monitor shows the correct image.

So could it be that without the extender somehow the HDMI stick is cannot be inserted fully and thus is not recognized?