Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Concerns on Windows 10 Upgrade From Threshold 2 (1511) to Anniversary Update (1607)

It took me a lot of patience to upgrade my 1st gen stick (STCK1AWFC32) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (build 10240 -> 10586). Although the following problems are still unresolved, I've been able to use the stick for browsing and multimedia for quite some time with minimal or no reset needed at all.

1. Realtek Bluetooth indicates disconnected although I'm already using BT keyboard & mouse to operate it

2. Unreliable/dropping & slow WiFi connection even the recent Realtek RTL8723BS SDIO driver (build 3008.28.0201.2016)

3. WiFi on/off toggle and airport mode button in Action Center are not displayed

4. Slow copying of files to its internal Kingston internal memory (even write caching enabled)

Anyway, here comes the Anniversary update (14xxx) with build 1607 coming this July or August 2016. Problem is, since the above issues haven't been resolved, upgrading to this new version of Windows 10 might brick the stick once and for all. Does Intel make preparation for this new upgrade? Or are they recommending to put this on-hold (manually) in the Windows Update for good? Or I'm hoping Intel would issue a new guideline like the Threshold 2 version for a smooth migration of system for this version.

Hope to hear from this soon. Thanks!

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Rojie,

The issue related with Windows 10 upgrade plus Threshold update was fixed since the beginning of this year.

I suggest you to review the PDF file posted by our manager.

/thread/97874 https://communities.intel.com/thread/97874

In regards to the next Windows 10 update, it will be necessary to wait until Microsoft releases the new update.

The link below provides with the latest BIOS and drivers - STCK1A32WFC

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86612/Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86612/Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC

Regards,

Mike C
idata
Community Manager

Hi Mike C, thanks for the response.

Please see my inline comment below:

The issue related with Windows 10 upgrade plus Threshold update was fixed since the beginning of this year.

I suggest you to review the PDF file posted by our manager.

/thread/97874 https://communities.intel.com/thread/97874

Have applied and followed the procedures in the PDF posted but still

the issues I reported are still there. Although 100% working in a sense

that it can do the desired functionalites, issues occurred on performance,

status discrepancies and missing toggle icons, as I reported above.

Don't know if mine is isolated case but many have reported it but still

unresolved.

In regards to the next Windows 10 update, it will be necessary to wait until Microsoft releases the new update.

The link below provides with the latest BIOS and drivers - STCK1A32WFC

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86612/Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86612/Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC

I've used the above link for the latest BIOS and drivers at your site but TXE hasn't been updated, signal level of WiFi cannot be detected/fixed to -50dBm as posted, missing WiFI on/off and airport mode buttons in Action Center, Realtek SDIO LAN can't identify the registered SSID immediately or dropping soon, Action center's BT disconnected status even though I'm using and operating with Logitecth keyboard/mouse or Rapoo keypad thru Bluetooth.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Intel could issue Windows 10 Anniversary Update guideline again in installing from 10240 or from 10586 builds.

Thanks and more power to all of you!

idata
Community Manager

Hi Rojie,

I really apologize for the inconvenience, the first stick version had performance limitations; however, Intel have learned from customers feedback and already released the second generation with huge improvements and new technology. Now, Intel has sticks with the latest Atom™ x5-Z8300, m3 and m5 Core™ processors.

Thank you for your feedback and I am pretty sure Intel will be capable to handle the next Windows update and find a workaround if something happens on the way.

Regards,

Mike C
idata
Community Manager

Thanks Mike C for acknowledging the shortcoming of 1st gen ICS.

I'm aware of the 2nd generation ICS with 2 different type of CPUs and using Intel's own network component.

But the bitter thing for us to swallow is the long wait (if there is hope) if 1st generation ICS' problems would

be (finally) resolved in the next build version of Windows or official Intel driver version.

The confidence of being capable make us 1st gen ICS user to extend our patience for a long time. We

are probably aware of the limitation of the specs on performance maybe but not on reliability nor quality

that Intel should have delivered in the first place.

Sorry for being rude but if quality/reliability as you said are not acceptable, can we exchange our ICS with

2nd gen you're promoting? There some sort of reward for us for buying "experimental/prototype" product,

from the way I've looked at it. Intel issued drivers for these but don't resolve the unrecognized WLAN/BT

combo features. This is ironic for me to hear since these product/drivers were not tested fully when released

to consumers. These issues are the one I listed in my original posting.

Anyway, at any case, still looking forward from INTEL in addressing the above issues.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Rojie,

I sent you a private message.

Mike C
JGlin1
Beginner

Hi,

Totally agreed. Client satisfaction is most important. Trying to use Gen1 wifi several times after every single upgrade, installed unofficial Realtek drivers etc. etc. No way, this is wrong concept. Not only wifi is bad (max 6-7mb/s for g network!!!, 30mb/s for n network), but apparently there is influence of BT traffic and USB traffic on wifi performance. Big hole in the test program before release to market? Gen1 is definitely NOT a good choice for media if you want to use build-in wifi. I am really interested what was the usage scenario in Intel lab. If not media, then what?

J.

idata
Community Manager

Hi jglinian,

The compute stick was the first smallest full computer in the market, the performance might not be equal to a lower end laptop but it is capable to handle almost any current application.

Now, Bluetooth mouse and keyboard might interfere with the wireless connection.

Mike C
idata
Community Manager

Hello to everyone,

Being first doesn't mean that you need to trade performance and quality just to be in the next niche market or else you'll lose your reputation and ignored eventually.

It's not benchmarking but to get the acceptable operation, like what other PCs, laptops, cellphone, tablets or even NUC kit can do. Problems reported are major issues that need to be addressed asap, not to require us the next generation instead.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and I hope that software or BIOS update can address the 1st gen ICS.

I'm looking forward to Intel's implementation on build 1607. Anyway, do you have a site, forum or thread concerning Window 10 Anniversary Update for 1st gen ICS? Will Windows Update be controlled by Intel to defer its build upgrade?

MWoer
New Contributor I

Yes it's there - used the 1607 update and It started again with "more space on disk C:\, etc" and again there is no more space.

So my question is also "Exists more Intel information how to handle the 1607 update?"

MWoer
New Contributor I

MWoer
New Contributor I

YES I did it but with the "standard" trouble as hanging WiFi driver, problems with BIOS update.

But the stick is now running the 1607 update with a fresh BIOS and updated drivers.

Warning - TAKE your TIME

idata
Community Manager

Hi MWoerlee,

Thanks for the info. How did you install AU1607 version, usng Media Creation Tool? Windows Update (here in Southeast Asia ICS not yet detecting)? Or Windows Refresh Tool? Or finally from the Win10 DVD ISO official download site?

As for the space required, did you not use the expansion memory slot to store your Windows store apps and Win32 apps? These will definitely take space in C drive (Kingston memory)? Before installation, did you disable its write caching? Presently I disabled mine.

In my Realtek driver installation before, didn't experience hang nor freeze but wireless problem occurs on its flawless connectivity with the router. What's the "standard" trouble with the hanging WiFi driver? Did you install the Intel supplied latest Windows 10 driver? Because right now I'm using a 3rd party driver with version 3008.28. What version did you use? Installing these, are there the WiFi and BT toggle buttons in the Action center?

Sorry for the many questions but I hope that you could address the above inquiries.

Hope that Intel would also see this and show us the guideline I requested earlier. Thanks a lot!

MWoer
New Contributor I

Hi Rojie,

I will tell what I have done and hope it gives answer on all your questions:

1. First I made a Windows disk image on an USB stick and also a USB recovery drive (you never knows!!)

2. Then I updated the BIOS to the latest version

3. After this I used the Intel Driver Utility 2.6 and this ended in a latest Realtek•

Bluetooth" UART bus driver 1.0.98.50629 and the new 3008.11.0515.2015 Realtek•

wireless driver. The installation of the wireless drive stocked and I had to

kill the proces, had to shut down and restart the Computestick.

But "surprise" after restarting the Compustick the new driver was still installed.

4. After that I downloaded the Windows 1607 Update ISO direct from Microsoft Download

Website on my PC (3 GB) and put it on a 16 GB USB stick. I did not use the

MediaCreation Tool or other tools but put this USB stick with the ISO file in

the Compustick to use it also as expansion memory

5. Before using the ISO to install the update I did a disk C: clean with the program

CCleaner. Then a double click on the setup.exe in the ISO file and the updating

process started and "wonderful" the update installed without any problems.
  6. Then again I used the Intel Driver Utility to look or there were other drivers needed.

But there were no changes

Hope this helps and when you need files or links, let me know.

Maarten Woerlee

Netherlands

idata
Community Manager

Hi MWoerlee,

Thanks for the information. I'm planning the same procedure as you recommended above. I still have my original build 10240 recovery disk. In case something went wrong, I'd like to try also from the original build if it can reinstate the missing WiFi on/of and airplane mode buttons, which are still missing in my present 10586 build. Hopefully, the anniversary update build 14393 can resolve the said problem. But I'll try first to execute the14393 ISO setup under the present Windows 10 with build 10586.545.

Wish me luck!

To Intel, please inform us if an official guidelines had been released for Windows 10 Anniversary update (14393.51~). Thanks.

MWoer
New Contributor I

Hi Rojie,

At first – take your time!! This is my 3rd Compustick - the two before crashed

in many ways and were send back. And further

I used many, many, many hours to fix al kind of problems.

I will also mention that first I used a wireless keyboard and mouse but that was a

disaster. Now I use a simple standard USB keyboard and mouse without any

problems.

Further I have not removed the SD-card during the update procedure.

As a result, now the Compustick works unbelievable marvelous in my network under the new

Windows 10. Even with some Windows 7 apps which I love – i.e. Windows 7 gadgets

and Synctoy.

Good luck and let me know the result.

Regards,

MW

idata
Community Manager

Hello MWoerlee.

Guess what? Installed Win10 build14393.5 setup on top of Win10 build 10586.545 with install from scratch option, I DID IT! Installation went smoothly and after logging in and registering my MS account, all of the reported problems below have been resolved.

1. need to disable the write cache of Kingston SDC due to copying stall problem.

2. missing WiFi on/off toggle buttons

3. erratic WiFi network disconnection/signal strength inconsistencies

4. unable to detect other non broadcasting SSID

5. non reliable Bluetooth response in keyboard (duplicate letter typed) and mouse

(skipping trail/delayed response)

But during update of applications, I did encounter many times application not responding so I just long press the power button or disconnect to the power. Until now, I'm still downloading updates and maybe later proceed installing the apps.

Thanks and more power to all of you!

MWoer
New Contributor I

Yes, it is not simple !!

RRobe13
Novice

All:

I just persevered & worked until I finally got the needed 16GBs needed!

I deleted Office, but I have a subscription for it, so I just download it again!

I got the final 1.5 GB by compacting the SD!

I wasn't about to go through all that stuff above!

TULLY

A smart OLD FART

87 Years Old

idata
Community Manager

Hi MWoerlee,

I really appreciated your feedback. I am glad you were able to install the latest Windows 10 update.

Mike C