Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to WiFi with hidden SSID

How do I connect to a WiFi hotspot that does not broadcast its SSID? The Joule "Connecting the development platform to Wi-Fi" doesn't address this question. On other platforms I would have an option such as choosing "Other" and then entering the SSID and access credentials.

6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi crossi,

Thank you very much for contacting us.

I'm wondering if you have the SSID and MAC information of the network you want to connect. If so, we could try to convert these data to HEX and then connect to it using the process from the guide you mentioned.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Regards,

-Pablo

I do know the SSID but I don't have the MAC.

idata
Community Manager

Hi crossi,

I'm still investigating your issue, I'll get back to you once I find more information to share with you. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

-Pablo
idata
Community Manager

Hi Crossi,

Could you please try with the following steps?
  1. Please enter the following commands in your Joule:

systemctl enable connman

enable wifi

scan wifi

agent on

services

2. You'll then see the list of available networks, the hidden SSID should be included in there. Connect to it as you would normally do:

connect wifi__hidden_managed_psk (where is the HEX number from the list)

3. You'll receive a message with input options, here you'll enter the SSID name and then you'll be prompt to enter the passphrase.

Please proceed with the instructions above and let us know your results.

Regards,

-Pablo

That worked great, thx!

idata
Community Manager

Hi Crossi,

I'm really glad to know it worked! Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any other question related to the Joule board, we can always assist you.

Regards,

-Pablo