Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Connection issues

Hi I have two Galileo Gen 1s, one is connected up to a dev kit and working fine the other one is having some weird issues, I cannot connect to it via putty anymore. ( I haven't done any work on either of the boards since I lived in France about 6 or 7 months ago. ) The IoT dev kit board is fine I updated hardware put a new image on it and the sensors etc and everything works as expected I can connect via SSH etc and no issues with the nodejs server and sensors that are on it.

The second board was a board I was given by Microsoft but I no longer want the Windows image on there because they aren't doing anything on it anymore, surprisingly they have moved to Raspberry Pi So I started to set this up with the usual linux image. I could not see the board coming up in my router, I figured maybe it is allocated an static IP that was already in use, I used this code in Arduino IDE to see if it had an ip but it didn't:

void setup() {

// put your setup code here, to run once:

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh");

//system("ifconfig eth0 192.168.X.X netmask 255.255.0.0 up");

}

void loop() {

// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

system("ifconfig eth0 > /dev/ttyGS0");

sleep(10);

}

There was no IP so I uncommented the commented line in void setup to give it a static IP, the loop then showed it had the IP I had assigned it but I still couldn't connect to it via SSH. I guessed maybe now you need a serial cable to connect as I have seen this mentioned although I thought I was strange as I have never need one before to connect to the board, either way, I swapped the serial cable over from my functioning board and rebooted, the static IP was gone but i could see in my ARP list that board was now showing. I started up the ETH0 script again and gave it the same IP, I have also assigned this IP in the router using address reservation. Still I cannot connect to the board via SSH.

After working on Raspberry Pis for months and then coming back to do some work on the Galileos I remember now why I switched to Pi lol. I am still wanting to try get this resolved purely to see what the issue and why it is happening and then may consider continuing projects on the Galileo or just writing them off totally. Any help would be appreciated in getting to the bottom of this, I am hoping to get Debian installed on it which will give me more incentive to work on the board, main reason because it is annoying me lol. Cheers in advance.

20 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you haven't seen that before will check it out.

0 Kudos