Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRoew
Novice

Continue Bluetooth LE advertisements during standby

I have Bluetooth LE configured to send iBeacon advertisements. When I put the Edison into standby (echo mem > /sys/power/state), the advertisements stop being sent. How can I configure the Bluetooth LE chipset to continue sending advertisements while the Edison is in standby?

This should be possible because the Intel Edison product brief itself describes this scenario in the POWER section:

Standby (No radios): 13 mW

Standby (Bluetooth 4.0): 21.5 mW (BTLE in Q4-14)

Standby (Wi-Fi): 35 mW

8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello JimR,

Please let us investigate about this. I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

-Peter
idata
Community Manager

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Power states in Edison are not officially implemented, there are some workarounds to access Edison's power states. Nevertheless they might cause unexpected behaviors with other functionalities of the board, therefore, they are not recommended.

In case you are still interested, accessing these power states has been discussed in threads, like:

/message/282849# 282849 https://communities.intel.com/message/282849# 282849

/message/260703# 260703 https://communities.intel.com/message/260703# 260703

You can try accessing this power state to check if the BLE advertisements work when on that state. You could also try disabling Wi-Fi if it's not used and enable power management of the serial port, this would decrease power consumption, to do so you might need to run the following commands:

echo auto > /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:04.3/power/control

systemctl start connman

connmanctl

disable wifi

I hope this information helps.

-Peter.
JRoew
Novice

That doesn't answer my question.

I'm disappointed because the product brief for the Intel Edison lists power information showing that running BLE during standby should be supported:

Standby (No radios): 13 mW

Standby (Bluetooth 4.0): 21.5 mW (BTLE in Q4-14)

Standby (Wi-Fi): 35 mW

idata
Community Manager

Hello JimR,

I understand, let me check that and see what I can find. I'll post an update as soon as possible.

-Peter.
idata
Community Manager

We understand the documentation is misleading, the numbers listed in the product brief are accurate as the given commands return the same numbers for power consumption.

Could you please let us know how you are measuring power consumption? And, are you getting different numbers than the ones provided in the product brief?

-Peter.
JRoew
Novice

There is no way to put the Edison into standby and keep BLE functioning as listed in the product brief. I cannot measure power consumption to compare against the product brief because there is no way to put the Edison into standby mode and keep BLE functioning.

You said "the numbers listed in the product brief are accurate as the given commands return the same numbers for power consumption." What are those commands? How are you putting the Edison into standby and keeping BLE operating?

idata
Community Manager

Hello JimR,

As Peter explained to you, power states are not officially implemented in Edison, however, we are currently working on your concerns about the BLE function and the information available in the product brief.

We appreciate your patience. We'll post an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

-Diego
idata
Community Manager

Hi JimR,

Thank you for your patience, we have an update for this case.

We have been informed that standby mode is no longer a supported feature from our vendor.

We will proceed to update the documentation regarding this subject in order to reflect this update.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

-Peter.