Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Control Stick power on in the morning 10:00am and power off 10:00pm

My user wants to buy some Computer Sticks, probably model BOXSTK1AW32SC, to do some automation. He wants the Stick to be on during date time, approximately power on at 10:00am and power off at 10:00pm. I want to know if it is possible to do it. He even accept to have an external power timer to control the power. That is the system OS can shutdown itself gracefully before 10:00pm. And the power timer cut the power at 10:00pm. Then in the morning at 10:00am, the power timer resumes the power to the Stick. Will the Stick boot up automatically when the power resume.

If not cannot boot up automatically, any solutions to do similar thing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello wlchung,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

In this case, Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC will auto power on when power adapter is connected.

This option will need to be configured at the BIOS under the power state option; you will need to select the "always on" option.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Ivan, when select "always on" as you suggested, when shutdown itself gracefully before 10:00pm, as required above, will the Stick stay off. This is important too because otherwise the main power will be cut at 10:00pm sharp.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

WL,

Let me summarize...

• When set to "Always On", ICS will power on automatically when power is applied.
  • As far as I can see, the BIOS on the SC ICS does not have support for automatically powering on the ICS at some specific date/time.
  • If Windows does a full shutdown, the ICS will end up being powered off. Specifically, it will not automatically reboot itself (that would be a BIOS bug).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Scott,

I think the reason for the sort of reboot behavior is following the logic that after " ICS will end up being powered off ", and, in my scenario, right before 10:00pm, there is still power. So if follows your 1st point, the ICS will power on, which looks like a reboot.

Ok, if you mean only in this case (graceful shutdown), ICS will not power on (i.e. 1st point not applied). And the ICS will then on only after the power is cut off at 10:00pm and resume again later will the 1st point apply. Then I think this is what I want.

Am I correct on the above?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello wlchung,

Basically, when select "always on", if you shutdown the system normally it will not turn on unless you press the power button to turn it on.

The "always on" state will work only when you disconnect the power adapter without shutting down the stick and then reconnect the power adapter the stick automatically will start.

If the stick shutdown itself gracefully after a period of time and you disconnect the power when you reconnect the power, it will power on the stick as well. In other words the "always on" auto starts the Intel® Compute stick once you apply power to the unit.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Ivan,

Thanks. All the above answer my question.

0 Kudos