Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBlis
Beginner

Cooling fan on my Intel Compute Stick is always active, even if the computer is turned off, so i have to take off power supply when I'm done with using it. Its so annoying, is there any way to fix this??

Cooling fan on my Intel Compute Stick is always active, even if the computer is turned off, so i have to take off power supply when I'm done with using it. Its so annoying, is there any way to fix this??

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JBlis
Beginner

is this how its supppose to work??

Anyone?

KWoll1
Beginner

I'm having the exact same problem, fan is always on even when the stick is turned off. Problem appeared after a few days of use. Fan also now seems to be running at nearly full rpm constantly, which makes it annoyingly loud, even from six feet away. As far as I can tell from reading reviews on the internet, this should not be the case.

I would greatly appreciate a response from Intel. Is this a BIOS or hardware problem?

I'm using a STCK1A32WFC running Windows 10. Will happily provide more information for a swift solution.

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi All,

Please update the BIOS version to the latest available in our website. Before updating the BIOS, check which is the current BIOS version on your device then jump to the next option available.

They are available in the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86612/Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC

Regards,

Mike C
KWoll1
Beginner

Already tried that (FC0030C.BIO). No help...

KWoll1
Beginner

More boot problems:

System shuts down during boot/after successful boot on idle (hibernation off, sleep on after 30 mins)

"Use AC adapter, system will shut down in 30 seconds"

Windows Recovery Screen: "a required device is not connected" (have not had time to write down error code before system shuts down..)

Disk check on boot (after numerous unsuccessful boot attempts)

Booting the device can sometime require up to 5 or 6 attempts. Slightly irritating, and obviously causing hard drive errors (and eventually fatal faults)

Using only factory supplied AC adapter and cable. Same problems with or without USB hub connected. Logitech K400 wireless keyboard.

JBlis
Beginner

I have updated BIOS with FC0030C.BIO... nothing happened, problem remains

do you have any other ideas?

thanks

KWoll1
Beginner

Seems like the power/boot problems I had might have been been caused by a faulty USB extension cable. At least everything seems to be more stable again. Fan problem still remains though.

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi All,

If you already have the latest BIOS version 0030. Please get into the BIOS and press F9, say yes then, F10 and say yes again. Then, restart the system and keep tapping F8. The system will give you the option to refresh, reset or restore the operating system. Please select Refresh.

Regards,

Mike C
KWoll1
Beginner

After resetting BIOS to default settings, pressing F8 on boot results in the following:

Recovery

Your pc needs to be repaired

A required device isnt connected or can't be accessed

Error code: 0xc0000225

Pressing F8 at this stage results only in screen reloading. Pressing enter boots computer normally (computer also boots normally otherwise)

In other words, I dont get the option to Refresh. Could this be because i did a thorough disk cleanup after upgrading to W10?

And yes, fan problem is still present.

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi Wollis

The options available pressing F8 requires the operating system image pre-installed on the stick. If you performed a disk cleanup after upgrading to W10, the OS image is not available any more.

In this case, it is necessary to replace the stick with our customer support team.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

All,

Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/stck1a32wfc/sb/CS-035724.htm Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions

Regards,

Mike C
KWoll1
Beginner

I can still reset the PC from Settings->Recovery. If I'm not mistaken that should be equivalent? I might loose some data but that's OK.

Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Yes, from the OS you can access at the recovery settings.If the issue continues once you have done this process, will be necessary to replace the Intel® Compute Stick,

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support