Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner

Core m3 Compute Stick - Win 10 Pro - 0.39ghz cpu speed

Hi,

Just got a compute stick and am having trouble with its speed under windows 10. It's a STK2M364CC.

I've attached a screenshot - it is running the latest bios but the clock speed is stuck on 0.39ghz and the cpu usage won't go above 30pc.

I tried formatting it and installed lubuntu and it works fine - putting win 10 back on there brings back the same issue.

First time I've come across something like this so I'm a bit stumped. Reading around suggests intel thermal throttling but I don't seem to be able to do anything with it. I have a core m3 tablet so I know what sort of performance I should be expecting from this chipset but this is nowhere near it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Community Manager

Hello steviedisco

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the result? Please attach the result to the thread.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Beginner

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I've done a fresh install of win 10 pro, waited for updates etc then have run the tool. Results are attached along with another screenshot of the Task Manager taken at the same time.

Results basically say it passed and was expecting a clock speed of 0.9ghz, and found 1.5ghz. I'd be surprised if this is how the compute stick is supposed to run windows, it's so slow and sluggish the way it is. I've had early atom processors run snappier.

Hope you can help!

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Hello steviedisco

Thank you for your response.

Could you run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version and provide us with the screenshot of the result?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Versio... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Versio...

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Beginner

Hi Leonardo, I've run the tool and attached the screenshots of each tab (this is hard to do as the computer is so slow heh)

Cheers

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your reply, steviedisco.

Let's try to restore the BIOS settings back to defaults. While the Compute Stick is booting press F2, once you are in the BIOS settings please press F9 and then F10. If these steps do not work, please complete a BIOS Recovery, download the latest BIOS version (0054) by clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27565/eng/CC0054.bio here and use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005902/mini-pcs/intel-compute-sticks.htm... this guide to complete the process.

Please share with us the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Beginner

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding. I've done that and the issue remains the same.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Hello steviedisco

Thank you for your response.

Reviewing your case we see that the processor is passing the CPU frequency test, the low performance could be due to of a Windows setting in this case you can try to set the power plan to high performance. Follow these steps:

Right-click on the start button> power options> select high performance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Hello steviedisco

I was checking your case and would like to know if you were able to try the steps provided previously.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Beginner

Hi Leo,

Sorry for the delay, tbh I was so fed up with it I'd given up on it. I did try setting the max and min power settings (under the max performance power option) to 100%, which didn't work. The cooling policy is set to Active.

I did find by digging through the event viewer a message in the administrative log that went something like 'the processor is being limited by firmware'. Googling around suggested it could be an issue with Speedstep, but the bios on this machine is fairly limited and there is no option to disable it.

Thanks again for you help

Steve

0 Kudos
Super User Retired Employee

What version of the BIOS is installed? If it is not version 54 (CCSKLm30.86A.0054), then please update to this version. After installing, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup, F9 (followed by Y) to set BIOS Configuration to defaults and then F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup saving updated configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Beginner

Any updates on this? Having the same problem as well..

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Hello, tgreaves. Thank you very much for joining this thread.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Additionally, since when is this happening? Furthermore, did you tried all the steps provided above?

Antony S.

0 Kudos
Beginner

After seeing that the problem for the other customer wasnt resolved since April and going on the fact that I have setup 10 other compute sticks the same way which all were fine, I just chalked it up to a bad stick and returned it to the seller for a replacement..

0 Kudos