cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Create image using wic

Hi,

I'm using BSP to build my custom kernel and I was wondering how to proper use the provided wic tool to generate a .direct image.

The way I used was wic create directdisk -e image-full , the command ran with no errors, but the generated image didn't boot on Galileo Gen 2.

Thanks.

P.S. this tutorial https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2015/03/04/creating-a-yocto-image-for-the-intel-galileo-board... IoT - Creating a Yocto image for the Intel® Galileo board using split layers | Intel® Software of how to use wic, don't work either on BSP.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi,

We want to try and replicate your case. Which BSP are you using and what commands have you followed so far?

-Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hey Sergio,

I'm using BSP 1.2.1.1 on a Ubuntu 12.04 host (tried and failed when I ran ./setup.sh on a Debian 8 host).

I've followed the BSP guide... ./setup.sh then source ./oe-init-build-env and then bitbake image-full (didn't make any changes).

Since it built successfully, I tried to generate a .direct image using wic tool by running this command wic create directdisk -e image-full.

The output of such command was:

Checking basic build environment...

Done.

Creating image(s)...

Info: The new image(s) can be found here:

/var/tmp/wic/build/directdisk-201606160634-sda.direct

The following build artifacts were used to create the image(s):

ROOTFS_DIR: /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/work/quark-poky-linux/image-full/1.0-r0/rootfs

BOOTIMG_DIR: /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/sysroots/quark/usr/share

KERNEL_DIR: /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/sysroots/quark/usr/src/kernel

NATIVE_SYSROOT: /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux

The image(s) were created using OE kickstart file:

/home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/scripts/lib/image/canned-wks/directdisk.wks

I'd like to know how to proper generate an image with wic or other tool...similar to the images Intel provides, that are encapsulated on a single file (usually *.direct).

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for posting the information we requested. We'll run some tests and let you know our results soon.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

We have attempted without success to build the galileo image on Ubuntu 14.04. We received the following error after running bitbake:

configure: exit 1

ERROR: oe_runconf failed

WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

ERROR: Function failed: do_configure

The tutorial you're following is used to build split layers image for Galileo using the IoT image, that tutorial was not tested nor validated with Quark image 1.2.1.1; because of this, this combination is not supported.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for testing it.

Just one follow up question, when Intel releases a new image for download is usually a single file with *.direct extension. I was wondering which tool do you use to produce such image, I thought it was with wic tool, but I was wrong.

Regards,

Paula

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

PaulaK wrote:

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for testing it.

Just one follow up question, when Intel releases a new image for download is usually a single file with *.direct extension. I was wondering which tool do you use to produce such image, I thought it was with wic tool, but I was wrong.

Regards,

Paula

I think this is a good question for a new thread, actually. I would use "/thread/103261 I have the same question/thread/103261 " on that question/thread...

Fernando.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks Sergio, I'll try it and give a feedback later.

0 Kudos