Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Creating a *new* IoT Project in Eclipse+iss-iot (Joule, Linux)

Hello,

I understand that this is the Edison forum, but there is no software dev forum for the Joule and I've been directed here previously.

I have a C++ project that was written and designed around a different SBC that I am trying to port over to the Intel Joule. I don't see any way, using the Eclipse environment with the iss-iot integration, to create a blank project. Am I expected to begin each project by importing an example, and removing it's source code? The examples also include a JSON file with what looks to be some parameters required for Makefile generation? Is there documentation about how that's used?

Additionally (and this may be worth its own thread, perhaps) the Eclipse IDE provides an extremely misleading environment to develop in. Even the simple Hello_World example that's provided presents syntax highlighting suggesting that the code won't compile, compiles and runs fine on the SBC, see picture below.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule Platform.

In the following link: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/675523 Using the Intel® System Studio IoT Edition with the Intel® Joule™ Module, you can find instructions in order to use the ISS-IoT Edition with the Joule, as well as how to create a new C++ IoT project. You can create an empty C++ project and it is not necessary to import an example and removing its source code, also I created a new one and there isn't JSON file.

Moreover, please look at this link http://askubuntu.com/questions/67734/eclipse-cant-find-index-libraries-of-gcc-or-g http://askubuntu.com/questions/67734/eclipse-cant-find-index-libraries-of-gcc-or-g, there you can find a discussion regarding the highlighting syntax in the code.

Please look at the links above, there you can find useful information, if you have any questions, let us know.

Regards,

-Yermi

idata
Community Manager

Hello Yermi,

Thank you for your reply. I will look into your askubuntu link for the second issue.

Regarding the creation of a new project, following the instructions on that page just walks you through importing an example. I understand that I can just "Create a New C++ Project" in Eclipse instead of using the "Create a new Intel Project for IoT..." prompt, but when I do that it seems like the IDE treats the project in a completely different way. For example, the Properties window of the project doesn't even include the Intel Platform section. It also doesn't recognize it as a [Joule module] project.

For now I'm just working with a setup where I've gutted an example and replaced it with my own code.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

We would like to suggest you this guide: http://help.eclipse.org/neon/topic/org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user/concepts/cdt_o_home.htm?cp=8 C/C++ Development User Guide, where you can find a tutorial about how to create a new C/C++ project among other additional information, besides, we have tested creating a new C/C++ project and we're getting the same as you, the project created doesn't include the Intel platform, so we'll suggest you to continue working with examples and replaced with your code for now.

Hope this guide above helps.

Regards,

-Yermi

idata
Community Manager

Yermi,

Thanks for your response. I've been successful in using imported examples as starting points, so I'll continue with that, albeit begrudgingly. As a point of feedback, I will say that the entire C++ development environment feels pretty incomplete and undocumented. I wouldn't mind having some justification about the necessity of docker in the whole thing as well. From my point of view it just feels like an extra layer that's monkeying around with my environment, obscuring what's actually happening. It also inflates the IDE installation considerably and results in another "thing" that devs need to track, even if they're not worried about supporting multiple deployment environments.

Cheers,

Scott

idata
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for your suggestion, it will help us to improve our products and users experience. We'll pass this information to our appropriate team in order to let them know about this.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

-Yermi