cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faima
Novice

DS18B20 interface intel galileo gen 2

Jump to solution

can somebody share coding to read temperature sensor using DS18B20 interface Intel Galileo Gen 2. Your reply is really appreciated. thank you. please help me.

1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi aiman,

The use of the DS18B20 sensor has been discussed before. There is a timing issue with "one-wire" devices like this one, so there isn't a straightforward way to interface it with Galileo. However, some users have posted their suggestions and workarounds to use the sensor. I recommend you to check the following threads for additional details about how to interface this sensor with your Galileo. The last thread is very complete and I consider it the best approach for this kind of applications:

/thread/52070 One Wire Digital Temperature Sensor - DS18B20

/message/353467# 353467 How to interface Intel Galileo Gen 2 with ds1820 ?

/message/310015# 310015 Working DS18B20 I2C Interface for Galileo Generation 1

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi aiman,

The use of the DS18B20 sensor has been discussed before. There is a timing issue with "one-wire" devices like this one, so there isn't a straightforward way to interface it with Galileo. However, some users have posted their suggestions and workarounds to use the sensor. I recommend you to check the following threads for additional details about how to interface this sensor with your Galileo. The last thread is very complete and I consider it the best approach for this kind of applications:

/thread/52070 One Wire Digital Temperature Sensor - DS18B20

/message/353467# 353467 How to interface Intel Galileo Gen 2 with ds1820 ?

/message/310015# 310015 Working DS18B20 I2C Interface for Galileo Generation 1

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

faima
Novice

can you explain more about the timing issue with "one-wire" devices using intel galileo with DS18B20?

What does the difference if we are using Arduino microcontroller, because its working using this microcontroller with DS18B20?

idata
Community Manager

Hi aiman,

The Galileo's I/Os are not fast enough for one-wire applications. The I/O toggling between input/output is slower than on the Arduino board. That's the reason why the device works fine on the Arduino board, but it doesn't on the Galileo board.

The threads I suggested you to check explain some workarounds other users have followed to use one-wire devices with Galileo. Due to this timing issue (a hardware limitation) the one-wire devices cannot be used directly like with the Arduino boards.

Regards,

Diego
faima
Novice

thanks for your reply,

i just found the uploaded coding on the /message/310015# 310015 Working DS18B20 I2C Interface for Galileo Generation 1 thread, i just need to add (PIC 12F1840) device, then try execute the uploaded code, i will give it a try soon, is it working or not on my Galileo Gen 2 board.