cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Debugging an OS X Setup

Hi there,

I'm having intermittent problems and would appreciate any tips. My setup is a MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Problems I'm facing include:

- Only occasional mounting of the Edison Drive (not sure what triggers the mounting)

- Failure on trying to copy files onto the Edison Drive (either via Finder or using command line)

- In particular, I get the following:

cp -v ~/Desktop/Edison/edison-image-ww25.5-15/edison-image-edison.ext4 /Volumes/Edison

cp: /Volumes/Edison/edison-image-edison.ext4: Input/output error

cp: /Volumes/Edison/edison-image-edison.ext4: fchmod failed: Bad file descriptor

cp: ~/Desktop/Edison/edison-image-ww25.5-15/edison-image-edison.ext4: could not copy extended attributes to /Volumes/Edison/edison-image-edison.ext4: No such file or directory

Goodness: I can consistently "screen" into the Edison via the USB-to-serial connection

Unfortunately, this occasional availability of the Edison drive is preventing me from flashing the firmware -- tried the Phone Tool, flashall and "reboot ota" techniques and all don't work for me.

Other diagnostics:

$ ls /dev/*usb*

/dev/cu.usbserial-A502P40I /dev/tty.usbserial-A502P40I

$ ls /Volumes/Edison

ls: /Volumes/Edison: No such file or directory

$ dfu-util -l

{Shows nothing listed}

$ sudo ./flashall.sh

Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

{No response even after I remove plugs and re-seat both USB Cables}

Any ideas?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hi bhashem,

Did you already discard a problem with the USB cables or ports that you're using? Some other user already reported this behavior and he was able to solve it by changing the USB ports.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

Highlighted
Novice

Thank you Pablo, ensuring that I use the SAME cables every time in the same EXACT USB slots seems to solve my problem for getting the Edison disk to consistently mount.

Unfortunately, I still can't flash either with the reboot ota method or the flashall.sh method as the board is not being recognized.

Thank you for any ideas and help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi bhashem,

Have you already tried flashing your board with Flash Tool Lite? To download the tool I would suggest you to follow this link https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/flash-tool-lite-user-manual https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/flash-tool-lite-user-manual, you'll also find instructions on how to install it.

In the link below you can find instructions on how to complete the flashing process using the tool.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-with-flash-tool-lite IoT - Flashing your firmware with Flash Tool Lite | Intel® Developer Zone.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi bhashem,

Did you try by re-flashing the board?

Do you have updates on this?

Regards,

Charlie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi there,

I finally got it to work -- YES! I noticed that the disk format was still FAT16. I re-partitioned the Edison drive to FAT32, copied the files over and was able to successfully do a "reboot ota". I was able to verify that the new version was installed by examining /etc/version.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

-Basil