cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NH1
Beginner

Default Bluetooth Tx Power

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting the distance between some bluetooth devices using RSSI values. The equation I plan on using is:

Distance = 10 ^ ((TxPower – RSSI)/(10 * N))

I know this won't be the most accurate measurement of distance, but for my use it will be sufficient. I already have the RSSI values being polled, the only thing I cannot find is the TX Power for the Edison. I know that this value cannot be changed based on previous posts, but I cannot find anything on the default value.

Further, I know the command 'hciconfig hci0 inqtpl' gives a value of 'Inquiry transmit power level: 0' but I do not believe this is the value I need. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

NH

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi NH,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Edison platform.

I would like to investigate a little bit more regarding your query, and as soon as I have useful information I'll let you know.

I'll appreciate your patience during the meantime.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

NH1
Beginner

Thanks, I will wait for your reply.

idata
Community Manager

Hi NH,

Thanks for your patience. After some investigation I would like to let you know that although the concept of measuring distance by RSSS is known, it is very difficult and unreliable.

In regards to the Edison's Bluetooth inquiry transmit power, which value is fixed and cannot be changed. The following links provide useful information on the output power and on the transmit power level.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

-Yermi A.