Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Delay in triggering actuation from cloud

When i am sending data from cloud to edison based on a rule it is taking more time to trigger to board after my condition in the rule got activated

for example i set a rule saying if the light value > 500 then send a actuation. After that rule is activated the trigger message is getting after a long delay of 4-5 mins.

Is that edison agent receiving it slowly or cloud that sending it slowly ?

10 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello srikar,

When submitting data to Cloud Analytics, a delay is to be expected. I personally have seen delays of a few seconds, usually under a minute, so this might also be related to your internet connection. Does your Edison has a strong internet connection? Or does it struggle sometimes?

Also some additional information about your project would be nice, are you using a sensor or an actuator? Could you show us your rule's settings?

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi peter

Yeah my Internet connection was perfect.

Actually i am using both sensor and actuator in this.According to my sensor value i.e whenever the value of light sensor > 500 the rule needs to send the actuation to the edison board.But in my case once the light value becomes > 500 the rule was getting triggerd after few minutes but not at that time when the light sensor value become 500.

i m using light sensor and actuator as a hue bulb which i need to control

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi srikar,

Can you share your code/rule? I would like to test it myself to see if I can replicate the behavior.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi peter !

I m using iotkit-agent on edison to send and recieve values from the cloud.

In this project ,from galileo the sensor values are sent to hub(edison) and from edison the values are sent to cloud within a seconds and then i had set rules on cloud to receive actuations

RULE :

I had set a Basic condition that whenever my light sensor value get more than 500 lumens then rule shd be activated

But the problem was.

The rule is activated after a delay of few minutes and delay is not constant i m using git hub actuator code to recieve actuations.( https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-samples/tree/master/python.In https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-samples/tree/... ) iotkitactuationexample.py . In my case i sent the sensor value to the cloud at 10:00 am (example) but i am getting actuation after few minutes that is 10:03 am (ex).

Thank You in advance.

K.srikar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I understand, let me do some tests and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Which version of the iotkit-agent are you using? The latest version can be found in https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-agent enableiot/iotkit-agent: Edge agent to abstr... - GitHub

I've run some tests with the IoT Analytics dashboard the last few days and I have found multiple results, this may be due to the IoT Analytics dashboard being a beta. That could be the same thing that is happening to you. Results like this are expected on a beta and this issue might get resolved in a future release.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

The current version is 1.7.0. are you facing the same Delay ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

My results vary from test to test and as I mentioned before, when using the simpler examples my delay was of less than a minute. Why don't you try with the simplest rule with just an actuator that turns on and off? Does the delay time vary?

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yeah my delay varies by the time.. sometimes two mins sometimes 5 mins also.

My rule is just a basic condition to check the sensor value. i set a complex command having 1 as value and applied that complex command to my rule.Depending on that value my sas hub sends the command to server to operate on a end device.

i ran tcpdump and tailing the agent log, whenever i sent the command manually it is reaching the edison within seconds and logs are appearing But when it comes to automatic rule the log for sending data to cloud came in a second but receiving thing didn't came even after 2-3 mins untill i got the actuation

Hope you understand the problem.

Thanks in advance..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I completely understand you. I will take this feedback and pass it to the appropriate team. Hopefully they can come up with a solution in the near future. However there's no ETA for it.

Peter.

0 Kudos