Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Difference Between EDI2.LPON.AL.S and EDI2.SPON.AL.S - more detail on LPON module version

Hey all,

I have a follow-up question to this discussion: Intel_Alvarado, the difference between the two Intel Edison modules "LPON" and "SPON" is clear:

"The EDI2.LPON.AL.S is Low Power On-Board Antenna and the Edi2.SPON.AL.S is Standard Power On-Board Antenna. The EDI2.LPON.AL.S is targeted for wearables where the Wi-Fi power is stepped down to avoid heat."

I'm wondering exactly how the LPON version accomplishes this, and what the effects of "stepped down" WiFi power are. I've done a little investigating, and it appears that the LPON version pulls ~4mA less current than the SPON version when on and idling, powered by a 3.7V lithium battery.

My three main questions here:

1. What is the actual difference in WiFi power? When running iwconfig on both SPON and LPON, I get TX-Power=31 dBm. I'm not sure where the power difference appears if it's not here.
  2. Does the LPON version have a shorter transmission range than the SPON version?
  3. Are the WiFi power settings configurable? Is there any way to boost the LPON power settings to mimic that of the SPON if the LPON proves to provide insufficient WiFi power?

Thank you!

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Zero,

Thank you for reaching out.

I would like to make some further investigation on your questions to provide an accurate answer. I will post my updates as soon as I have some more information. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

OK, thank you! Looking forward to hearing what you find out!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Pablo, any luck on your investigations?

thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Zero,

Thank you for your patience! I have some new information, check this article outlining Edison wireless output power for LP and SP options, http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-edison-compute-modules/00002365... http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-edison-compute-modules/00002365.... I hope you can use that information and draw your own conclusions with your project needs in mind.

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

OK, thank you!

0 Kudos