Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Disable WiFi by soldering resistor before U.Fl connector on Edison Compute Module

My requirements are to physically disable the WiFi and Blu-tooth signals in a way that does not allow the signals to radiate from the board. Removing the Broadcom 43340 chip is an option *if* that is an option that does not break the board other than WiFi/Blu-tooth. My initial thoughts are to cut the traces just before the U.Fl connector on the compute module and solder in a 50ohm resistor of sufficient wattage to dissipate any possible signals before they reach the U.Fl or on board antenna.

Any thoughts on this?

Tags (1)
9 Replies
VIvan7
New Contributor III

I think the black resistor near the u.fl connector is just a 0 ohm connector to the chip antenna that can be desoldered. You need a sharp eye though.

You can also desolder the u.fl connector.

There is a version of the Edison without a chip antenna.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for your reply. I did see the black resistor and my plan was to de-solder this and solder on a 50 ohm termination resistor to the ground shielding next to where the resistor is placed. I believe this should effectively terminate the RF signals from the Broadcom chip. I have a ticket in with Broadcom to find the actual wattage of the output so I can correctly pick a resistor to sink this wattage.

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What is your goal? Wouldn't it be better to just disable the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules instead of de-soldering components from the board? If you choose to de-solder components of the board you won't be able to ask for a replacement in case it gets permanently damaged. I'm not sure if it would work, I haven't done this myself and haven't seen anyone in the community doing so. That's why I think it would be better to just disable the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules or build a new image that doesn't include Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Sergio

idata
Community Manager

My goal is to fullfil my requirements of having an Intel Edison without the possibility of WiFi or Blu tooth being able to be used, as clearly stated in my post. Thank you for trying to help with this endeavor. I clearly do not care about replacements etc because I suggested removing components in the first place in my original post. Building a new image does not stop the chip or antenna from being used physically. They would still be functional if someone were to take my project later and put a different software on it. Again, I need to physically disable WiFi and Blu tooth.

Thank you for your response.

VIvan7
New Contributor III

You can buy the Edison module with an external antenna only and damage or desolder the fragile u.fl connector. What can be easier?

idata
Community Manager

I can only find part numbers for a regular Edison and a low power Edison in models 1 and 2 (four separate model numbers). I can not find a listed model number for an Edison that has an external antenna only.

1. I'm guessing this would imply the on board u.fl connector would be used and there is no on board antenna?

2. Is this also the "low power" version?

This would be helpful as I would only have to de-solder the 0 ohm resistor and solder a 50 ohm terminator. People looking at the board would not see the on board antenna and that would make this more acceptable in the situation it would be used in, ie., no WiFi or Blu tooth.

Thank you for your continued conversation.

VIvan7
New Contributor III

System-On-Modules - SOM Edison Module IoT External Antenna

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/EDI2SPOFALS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsuSxY5Q00Zec8nDSpeAxEZe72mCwEH9B... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/EDI2SPOFALS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsuSxY5Q00Zec8nDSpeAxEZe72mCwEH9B...

System-On-Modules - SOM Edison Module IoT Wearable Ext Antenna

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/EDI2LPOFALS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsuSxY5Q00ZeeENHryH/i7OutEWRYzgAO... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/EDI2LPOFALS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsuSxY5Q00ZeeENHryH/i7OutEWRYzgAO...

I think it's the same thing for different markets.

There is no low power module.

I found pictures for EDI2.SPOF.AL.S

It's beneficial to have this version because the internal antenna requires a keepout area in a pcb right near the connector and it's easier to route through it than around it.

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

In addition to Vincenze's helpful reply you can also take a look at . You might find this interesting as well.

Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Thank you both for your inputs. I have a path forward and have ordered my project board. For now, I plan to remove the little black resistor (0ohm) and use the solder points before and after to solder in a 50 ohm and another 50 ohm, so as to sink any signals received by the antenna and associated wiring to ground as well as sink any signals possibly produced by the WiFi and Blu tooth chip to ground. With this being visually verifiable and electronically testable, I should be able to use the board for what I intend. Again, thank you both.