Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Do I need to worry about voltages with Edison/Arduino Connected to Arduino Uno?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Via rx/tx, I want to connect an

• Intel Edison kit for Arduino
  • to an Arduino Uno

I am not using the smaller Intel Edison Breakout Board.

I have read : https://communities.intel.com/message/415566# 415566 https://communities.intel.com/message/415566

I understand that I will connect

• Edison's rx (pin0) to Uno's tx (pin 1) and
  • Edison's tx (pin 1) to Uno's rx (pin 0).

Question: in my case using the Arduino kit, not the Breakout board, do I need to do anything special with respect to voltages when connecting the rx/tx pins.

Question: to give them a common ground is it sufficient to plug each of their grounds into the same ground rail on a breadboard or connect the ground pins together on their respective power headers?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison platform.

Absolutely, as you have read in that thread, you have to connect the Edison's RX to the Uno's TX and the RX to TX as you posted above. Regarding your questions, the Intel Edison Arduino expansion board kit can work between two voltage levels: 5V or 3.3V, and this selection is made through a J9 header, so, be sure that the 5V is selected since the Arduino Uno works at 5V, take a look at this link for more details: /docs/DOC-23455 Intel® Edison kit for Arduino – Jumper Headers. Additionally, regarding your last question, you can just connect the ground pins together on their respective power headers.

Hope this information helps, if you have additional questions, please let us know.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison platform.

Absolutely, as you have read in that thread, you have to connect the Edison's RX to the Uno's TX and the RX to TX as you posted above. Regarding your questions, the Intel Edison Arduino expansion board kit can work between two voltage levels: 5V or 3.3V, and this selection is made through a J9 header, so, be sure that the 5V is selected since the Arduino Uno works at 5V, take a look at this link for more details: /docs/DOC-23455 Intel® Edison kit for Arduino – Jumper Headers. Additionally, regarding your last question, you can just connect the ground pins together on their respective power headers.

Hope this information helps, if you have additional questions, please let us know.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for the information. I understand.

Regarding what you said: Edison's RX to the Uno's TX and the RX to TX

I made a slight addition. Is this correct: Edison's RX to the Uno's TX and the Uno RX to Edison TX

Regarding 5v versus 3.3v, I can see the 3 pins for j9. With pin 1 closest to the power header. Looking at DOC-23455, pin 1 does not look jumpered. Pins 2 & 3 look jumpered together. And that matches what I really have. Therefore Edison is set for 5v.

Regards,

Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bill,

We're glad to know that you found that information helpful.

Regarding the addition you did (Edison's RX to the Uno's TX and the Uno's RX to Edison's TX), it is correct. Also, as you have mentioned the 5V is selected in your board, we would like to share this other image related to the J9 header, we would say that the pin 3 is closest to the power header, and the pin 1 and 2 should be jumped to set up 5V.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for creating the magnified image.

When I was looking at J9 with my magnifying glass, I was looking at it from the left which resulted in j9 blocking the view of the # 3, on the right hand side, near the power header.

Looking back at the original DOC-23455, I now see that "fuzzy 3".

Thanks for help,

Bill

0 Kudos