Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HWilk1
Novice

Does the Arduino Sketch run on the MCU?

I want to use an Intel Edison for a project where I would like to use Arduino together with the Linux system beside.

Arduino should handle some time critical stuff (react on inputs)

Therefore my question is if the Arduino sketch runs on the MCU and does not influence the Atom CPU and the Linux system.

If it does run on the linux system in a "virtual Arduino Runtime" is it planned to improve that in the feature and run the arduino sketch for real time purposes on the MCU which provides a real time system?

I know I could use the MCU programming from Intel but it is not as comfortable and easy to setup as the arduino IDE.

Especially if I want to open my projects for others it would be helpful to rely on a very common standard like arduino which is quite popular.

I hope you understand my request and somebody knows the answers.

6 Replies
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you want to use the MCU the only way is to use the Eclipse SDK https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/557537 Creating applications with the MCU SDK for the Intel® Edison board: Overview | Intel® Developer Zone . The Arduino IDE's sketches run on the Atom side so no, the Arduino IDE's sketches will not run for real time purposes on the MCU as you ask.

There is also a similar thread to this posted here .

Sergio

HWilk1
Novice

Thanks for the answer.

But are there any plans for the future to provide that feature?

I guess that would be a big benefit for the edison platform.

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, we can't disclose any information of future releases. All software updates are announced in the community as soon as they are released.

Sergio

HWilk1
Novice

OK.

So just as some input I would love to see that in a future release

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

We've passed your feedback to the appropriate team.

Sergio

Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

Intel_Alvarado wrote:

Hi,

If you want to use the MCU the only way is to use the Eclipse SDK https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/557537 Creating applications with the MCU SDK for the Intel® Edison board: Overview | Intel® Developer Zone . The Arduino IDE's sketches run on the Atom side so no, the Arduino IDE's sketches will not run for real time purposes on the MCU as you ask.

There is also a similar thread to this posted here /message/329866# 329866 Re: Arduino Sketch runs on Edison MCU side!? .

Sergio

you could still communicate between MCU process and Arduino sketch. Although might not be too convenient