Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Does the Galileo board support automatic power selection or PWR_SEL jumper to draw power from Shield's power source?

Does the Galileo board support automatic power selection or PWR_SEL jumper to draw power from Shiled's power source, instead of power supply cable? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor II

As far as I understand the Galileo Datasheet (/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/21835-102-4-25148/Galileo_Datasheet_329681_003.pdf https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/21835-102-4-25148/Galileo_Datasheet_3...), Galileo doesn't support any form of drawing the power from shields, there are quite a few warnings all across the docs that one must have the power adapter connected at all times.

That's my understanding, those with more knowledge are welcome to chime in.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor II

@sk5 - if you feel your question is answered, please mark it as such, that will help others with similar problems. If you have any further questions on this - please feel free to bring them in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I was offline for vacation. You're right, the pdf does give the warning. Anyone tried to power the board by reworking the power cable to connect to battery pack (4xAA)?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor II

I personally haven't tried that, but chofrock mentioned such a use in /thread/47188 this thread

, care to share some details or a link to a discussion on that, if you have it somewhere?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have not personally tried connecting AA batteries to the Galileo. I have talked to people who have, and they mentioned that the sketch only continued to run for about 15 minutes.

I would not recommend anyone trying to run off of batteries unless you have a Dediprog in order to reprogram the SPI firmware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for sharing! Alternative could probably be an auto-shutdown watchdog, which would power down the board after battery pack gets below certain voltage.

0 Kudos