Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Drivers for various usb wifi chipsets using intel edison and Ubilinux

I have been trying to get my edison to recognize various usb wifi adapters that are said to be supported by linux.

I am using ubilinux with the arduino breakout and I have installed all the backports from apt-get for each adapter. The OS does not recognize the usb wifi which is troublesome for me. I am connecting several IOT devices over wifi to the edison and I need multiple connections so that I can use many devices as well as have internet.

I was trying to compile the drivers myself on the edison, but the header files are not on the board for compilation. Is there any precompiled drivers out there? I am sure many people would like to have multiple wifi connections for their edison, but there is currently no straight forward way for the average joe to get these add ons working. Can anyone provide any help? A docker image with the build environment would be phenomenal! I could compile the drivers myself with the image. Pre compiled drivers would be even better.

Devices:

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter

apt-get install firmware-realtek

Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter

apt-get install firmware-ralink

Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n (ath9k_htc) driver

apt-get install firmware-atheros

Has anyone had any success with these dongles?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Drivers for various usb wifi chipsets using intel edison and Ubilinux

Hi MGLAD,

I would suggest you to contact the support team at EmutexLabs as they are the ones in charge of the Ubilinux image. I believe they can provide a more accurate answer on this issue.

http://www.emutexlabs.com/support-forums http://www.emutexlabs.com/support-forums

For any other question related to the Yocto image, don't hesitate in contacting us.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

Highlighted
Novice

Can you provide this same support for the yocto image? The only reason I am using the ubilinux image was to get usb wifi support. How would I include these drivers in a yocto image? What about the build environment for the yocto image inside a docker container? This answer is not helpful at all...

Highlighted
Novice

Is there anyone that knows how to integrate these drivers? I have set up the build environment for yocto on a ubuntu linux VM and I have built the Kernel and added every available driver in the bitbake configure program. I am unable to download linux-firmware via opkg so thats no fun. Does anyone have a recipe that includes these drivers already that I could just build myself? I would hate to have to abandon the intel edison due to lack of support, it is such a powerful piece of hardware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi MGLAD,

After taking a look at the drivers for the devices that you mention in your post, I checked the Yocto image and the driver for the Realtek RTL8188CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter is available, but it is necessary to enable the kernel module. Below you can see an image taken from the menuconfig that shows the driver.

To access the menuconfig you can check section 5 from the Edison BSP (Customizing the Linux Kernel), http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbsp_ug_331188007.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbsp_ug_331188007.pdf. There you'll need to enable the driver. Keep in mind that the module has some dependencies, so you'll probably have to check these dependencies and enable/disable them according to the driver needs.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

This was extremely helpful and just what I was looking for! Thank you very very much. I missed a bunch of drivers that had the --> symbol. There are more drivers in there to enable!

0 Kudos