Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Drone Programming Developer Language

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I have been building drones for 2 years now using Pixhawk & Arducopter, but I really want to take that a step further. I'd like to learn to program & create a flight controller using the Intel Joule board & later integrate realsense technologies & other sensors. My goal one day is to develop a weed recognition solution in farming & agricultural.

I am very new to programming and computer software engineering so I am extremely overwhelmed by the mountain that faces me. I am however keen to give it a ready hot crack!

My question today is what language should I learn first? There are a few languages out there such as C, C++, Ardunio, & Java etc. I have had a major read around over the past few weeks and have not found what I am looking for. I am leaning towards C++ for its power, real time processing & 'safety critical' properties?

What language do you guys recommend for drones & their applications & why?

Kind regards,

Regan.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FDogg
New Contributor II

Do you have a specific desire to learn to create an actual flight controller? Or do you 'just' want to start using drones to do more interesting stuff with the likes of realsense in order to create farming/agricultural applications? If that's the case, you're probably much better off looking at the likes of dronekit (https://github.com/dronekit/dronekit-python GitHub - dronekit/dronekit-python: DroneKit-Python library for communicating with Drones via MAVLink. ) which you can run on an OBC like the joule and perform high level drone functions. If you're new to programming and software engineering, I would strongly recommend you don't start out by trying to create a low level flight controller

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FDogg
New Contributor II

Do you have a specific desire to learn to create an actual flight controller? Or do you 'just' want to start using drones to do more interesting stuff with the likes of realsense in order to create farming/agricultural applications? If that's the case, you're probably much better off looking at the likes of dronekit (https://github.com/dronekit/dronekit-python GitHub - dronekit/dronekit-python: DroneKit-Python library for communicating with Drones via MAVLink. ) which you can run on an OBC like the joule and perform high level drone functions. If you're new to programming and software engineering, I would strongly recommend you don't start out by trying to create a low level flight controller

View solution in original post